ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM fitted with Cummins

Does anyone know if any RMs as opposed to RMLs were fitted with Cummins engines? I've just had a call from a customer in Germany who's just bought RM1330 from someone in Kassel and says it has a Cummins engine. I have my doubts.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: RM fitted with Cummins

Yes loads are fitted with the B series engine a la Dart.

According to Ian Smith it was refurbished by Leaside Enfield 1999 and fitted with a Cummins - probably a B series by then ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Yes, thanks, forgot about the Dartmaster conversions, but this one seems to have a wilson box with a problem, no feed for the speedo/auto gear change, presumably a back axle sender jobbie?

The Dartmasters were all Cummins/Allison's I think, wouldn't a Wilson/Cummins have a 551 control panel - if you bypass that you lose the speedo as well as the automatic gear change so could possibly be a fault with the panel if not the sender ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Yes, I'm going for a defective sender or panel, though the customer wants a Wilson sender until which makes me wonder. will the original sender work with a 551 panel? He says he can't get 3rd when stationary, but that's the way they're designed.

If you ask him if the engine has a one piece rocker cover or six separate ones it will identify whether it is a B(6) or C(1) series. If it does not have the familiar shape gear selector on the steering column then it will have an Allison box.

It's deffo a Wilson box, the one the bus came with was defective so he changed it for his spare one but the broke the sender trying to change it.

From memory, RM1330 was one of three RMs that were fitted with Cummins C series engines in 2000 by Arriva London. The others were RM295 and 736. All came from the LT Reserve fleet in 1997 and after refurbishment in 2000 were then used at Brixton alongside the other Iveco and Scania engined RMs and RMLs.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Thanks for the info. My client visited me the other day with a mulla'd speedo drive housing. A thorough search of my spares revealed I didn't have one, but then I remembered 2532 had one that wasn't required, so problem solved. All he has to do now is get the drive spindle straightened out!

If I remember right the conversions where done at Norwood and then onto Brixton where they sat for ages with various problems . I've got to say. I quite liked the cummins

My bus number (if any): 1083

Yes, these engine conversions were all completed in early 2000, with them entering service at Brixton between April and July 2000, after refurbishment at Enfield.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

The one in question is now with Werbe-Mobil in Neuss, Germany.