ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A winter scene

Not sure that I`d willingly swap the mild December we`re having for the cold December of 1981 that I clearly recall - even if it did provide the potential for some nice snow scene pictures......

RML 2619 leading RML 2440 over Ealing Common on Dec 12 1981.

Re: A winter scene

Great picture. Which I remember well. That lasted a week or two that winter.

I think that was more or less when Hanwell's renaissance of smartly refurbished Routemasters, clean, smart, uniform and shiny came to an end.

After that winter, they were never properly cleaned and they started to become permanently grimy and gradually bits started to go missing, usually the triangle badge and the surrounding trim, then the headlight rims.

They were looking tatty long before they should have, but that had almost become a trademark of Hanwell and the comparison in Ealing of Norbiton, Uxbridge and even Alperton RMs magnified this.

I think the 207 has my own observed record for the most single route buses in a line. 11 in Ealing Broadway tailing back to the Mall - all but one bound for Hayes End!!

That was before the conversion to DM and included 882, 2666 and 2760. Somewhere I have a very faded instamatic photograph of that lot.