ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Defurbishment of 10 RMs at Hants and Dorset Trim

The current Route One magazine has an interesting article on how London's 10 Heritage Route 15H RMs are being returned to as close to original form as possible.

http://www.route-one.net/industry/suppliers/hants-and-dorset-trim-back-to-the-rms-future/

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

Re: Defurbishment of 10 RMs at Hants and Dorset Trim

Was in London over last few weeks and managed a ride on RM2060 which looks quite nice inside. It also rides very well.

However, after reading the posted article I did baulk at just who at TfL signed it off.

It is far from authentic as intended or claimed. I think it looked more authentic prior to it's makeover. It is the exterior and the fine detail that is a bit short of the mark.

The shade of red looks wrong, hard to say quite what is not right but it is certainly not the correct shade of red.

Why did they not at least pick out the horrid hopper windows in silver which at the very least adds relief to the clumsy design of them.?

The other glaring error are the number plate fonts. Ironically, the Stagecoach Heritage RMs have always had exactly the right font number plates.

The plethora of safety features are a fact of modern day London needs but could have been a little better positioned and hidden.

On the plus side the quality of workmanship looks good but the attention to fine and correct LT period detail falls well short.

I cannot understand that with such a well documented history and a museum archive to hand, how so many small but significant details get missed or wrongly reproduced.

Someone else once remarked on this subject that "It's hardly Rocket Science"

I did see a good article in Bus And Coach Preservation on the defurbs with lots of shiny pictures!

My bus number (if any): RML2561 (Well the bits not in M&M world!)

I wonder if you Jack, or anyone else have seen what the LED blind box, side, tail and stop lights look like? I'm putting LED strips in the blind boxes on 471 when it is a bit warmer and will post before and after pictures.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

Number plate numbers are available fro Squirell and others, so no excuses for getting that wrong. Speaking with someone in the know in a very high place, they looked at getting original windows made, but at over £250 a pan it works out very expensive.
Let's not knock it too much, at least the buses are being given a further lease of life.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I think the led lighting looks OK. I saw the vehicle externally on a very dull day and the lighting looks quite good.

Now that LEDs are coming in warm white they are now really close in colour to tungsten.

I'm all for incorporating new technology if it makes thins more reliable, safer and efficient.

The new lights on the back look very similar but not the same as the originals but better than what was on the Marshall refurbs but they are very visible and look more appropriate.

But these are all items that are off the shelf.

It still does not appease the gaffes to finished detailing which should not be made given the plethora of information and easy availability of the correct items.

Does anyone know which Buses are currently with HANTS ? I gather 1933 is but any others due soon ? Caught sight of 2060 earlier at Tower Hill. Can't put my finger on the shade of red as it is a dull day today..