ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Platform covers

I have recently been quoted more than £360 for a fitted canvas type material curtain that could be attached to the platform entrance frame to keep out dust, rain, animals etc when vehicles are stored overnight.

Would anyone know of a slightly cheaper method as 3 curtains for 3 buses would exceed £1100 . I am reluctant to have any wooden structure due to damage as the vehicles are used on a daily basis, but am open to any other suggestions, hope someone can help me on this one, or email me direct if you know anyone..

Many thanks to all

Graham

My bus number (if any): RTL 1324 RML 2619 RM 1174

Re: Platform covers

On the face of it, perhaps a little expensive but you don't seem to get much for £360 these days so by the time someone has designed and tailor made a quality fitted cover that does the job and stands up to the weather then it's probably a fair price ? I wonder if more owners were interested then a run of them may reduce the individual cost ?

P.S. Nice article in Coach and Bus Week ! - Graham

My bus number (if any): RML2747 Gash DD6

I used a high quality shower curtain with lead weights in the bottom and a few tenax type clips to hold it in place
The clops were painted and very discreetly placed.
But it could have been done with a line of flexicord.

The curtain was in two segments with velcro between the joint so you could get in and out.
Very lightweight, washable and durable. Lasted 10 years. Until the bus was exported.

Hi Jack

Much appreciates for the information.

Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks for the advice, sadly, I think I'm becoming dyslexic with numbers as I quoted £360 per curtain and in actual fact is was £630
which seems to have made it worse.
Thank you also for the kind words regarding the article in Coach & Bus, the phone hasn't stopped ringing and Philip thinks that it won't be too long before another bus comes along... a bit like the old 11 route in London.

Graham

Can`t help you with suggestions of a supplier for a platform `curtain` but, to expand on the idea Jack mentioned, maybe these pictures illustrate the point about discreet clips.

Unfortunately it`s not going to be a simple case of `we`ll ask them where they had it made` as this is RM 1670 in New Zealand back in 2011. Actually, I could ask them if there`s anything that they may be able to advise on.

And if being able to show these pictures to a potential supplier to illustrate what you are attempting to do might be helpful, I`ll gladly email them to you.

Good luck with them - and I liked the interesting article in C&BW!

Hi Neil

Thank you for you comments on the C&BW article, and the pictures, it will help me make a decision which way to go,

Graham

I bought some cheap sheets of steel mesh which I cut to size and fitted each size of the pole. Around the edge, foam pipe insulation was cable tied on and also helped a with a nice snug fit. The mesh panels are then simpley cable tied onto the poles.

Having spent many thousnds retrimming the bus there was no way I was going to allow a fox to get onboard (lives in a barn on a farm) and rip the whole lot apart.

A cheap solution which only requies a park of cables ties to be bought every now and then.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Thanks Tom
I'll certainly look at that idea.

Graham

I'm heading over there on Saturday so I will take a photo to better show what I mean.

The sole purpose of them is to keep animals out but they also act as a visual deterrent.

Tom.

asdd 001

Hi Tom
Thanks for the picture, it's given me food for thought, much appreciated?

Graham

My bus number (if any): RTL 1323 RML 2619 RM 1174