ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Take care of your Parts

I was at Imperial Engineering this afternoon (2/3/16) speaking to Ken; he'd just put the phone down to someone who had just has 2 sets of half shafts stolen from his 2 Routemasters. He couldn't remember who it was or where from as he is a rather busy person.

So please make everyone aware, if your half shafts break or get stolen, unless you've got replacements there simply aren't any replacements out there to be had off the shelf. As you may know the Association had a small batch made recently, but they are all accounted for. The cost of those was in the region of £2500 each plus VAT, so for £10 worth of scrap metal you're looking at a lot of money to replace them, and a long time off the road, especially if you're a commercial operator.

Maybe keep an ear open for anyone trying to suddenly sell half shafts on the cheap?

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Take care of your Parts

I can't see these having been taken for their scrap value. These have been stolen to order. Nice to know what the person on the rally field next to you is really like.

A relatively inexpensive solution.

https://www.fastenright.com/products/security-fasteners/security-nuts?gclid=CPaQl72apMsCFSsGwwods3AHug

Good idea Roy, does anyone know the thread size of the half shaft bolts?

My bus number (if any): 548, 765, 1783

Excellent idea ! But make sure you have the removal tool to hand when you take the bus out as should you need a tow you don't want to prevent the recovery firm from being able to remove a half shaft !

My bus number (if any): RML2747 Gash DD6

There were some for sale on Ebay for 4500 pounds, Maybe they were the stolen ones!!

My bus number (if any): RML 2353 MB 306, Leyland OPS1

Since it would be a reasonable assumption that these half shafts are now installed, or about to be, in another bus, then it follows that the 'key' to rotate the security fixing and the fixings themselves need to be unique to an individual purchaser. If it is not, then a rogue bus owner would need simply to use his own generic key to acquire what he wishes to steal, thus defeating the object of a tamperproof fixing.

The unique approach obviously increases the cost, but you only get what you pay for.

Graham Brown
Excellent idea ! But make sure you have the removal tool to hand when you take the bus out as should you need a tow you don't want to prevent the recovery firm from being able to remove a half shaft !

No need to take out the half shafts, most towing firms just dismount the carden attached to the diff and secure it up out of the way.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

As Sergio already pointed out a set of half shalfs appeared on ebay the other day.. Seems a strange coincidence and may be worth looking into- esp as the seller has described them as 'hard' not 'half'!

Heres the link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Routemaster-hard-shafts-/121904381854?hash=item1c62113f9e:g:Pn8AAOSwll1WzbGm

My bus number (if any): 1033

This is becoming a big problem all over the industry. From Classic vehicles to street signs to huge plant.

The best way is to discreetly mark parts in a visible place as well as a more discreet place.

Photograph it and log it. A post code, or reference to something that is not the usual. as well as the actual bus number and a date to confirm it.

We use etching tools on all valuable removable parts. Wheels. Shafts fuel tanks etc. They are also micro dotted.

There are other preventions now used during pre service preps which has added about a day to the commissioning process and some are classified by the company.

It has led to recovery of parts and yes, Ebay is a favourite place to look for sales by chancers. But most stuff is stolen to order and is harder to trace. However when something does show up the companies lawyers are like rottwiellers and will cost the recipients of the components dear. But this does not always root out the perpetrators.

Belt and braces is prudent and these expensive components as well as the more 'souvenir' components do need to be marked .