ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mounting a fire extinguisher in the cab.

Evening all,

I'm looking to mount a fire extinguisher in the cab (a proper one which puts out fires not a nice looking 60's vintage one) and below is a picture highlighting where I want to put it.

Before I do drilling holes I just want to check that there is nothing behind this panel which I wouldn't want to drill into such as cables etc.

Just thought it would be worth checking.

Many thanks,
Tom.

asdd 003

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Mounting a fire extinguisher in the cab.

Tom Curtis
Evening all,

I'm looking to mount a fire extinguisher...

Before I do drilling holes I just want to check that there is nothing behind this panel which I wouldn't want to drill into such as cables etc.

Just thought it would be worth checking.

Many thanks,
Tom.

That is where they were sited originally Tom, I cannot guarantee with refurbs that there are no cables there but there should be a wooden block!

An alternative is where they were fixed after that which was on the cab door, two of the screws in the stainless centre moulding became bolts, bottom fixing very short screws though. Another position we use is under and to the left of the driver's seat in a holder secured to the floor.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

There is indeed a block of wood.

Looking closely, the marks can be seen where the original extinguisher was mounted.

You never know when you or someone else may want an extinguisher!

ilxufkiluh 009

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Here`s how they used to be mounted.

Authenticity is very nice but my memory of bygone LT fire extinguishers is that they were very basic and ineffective compared to the models available now which do actually look as if they might go some way to putting a fire out. Which is exactly what you want when the worst happens.

I remember standing outside Tottenham Garage in 1974 with my driver waiting to take over a 171 along with another crew also waiting for a 171 going in the other direction. A car turned the corner off the High Road into Phillip Lane with smoke billowing from under the bonnet and as it came to a halt opposite where we stood, flames appeared. The Point Inspector shouted at us to grab fire extinguishers whilst he phoned the Fire Brigade. Being the evening peak only a few buses were in the garage and all were some way in. The four of us ran and grabbed an extinguisher from a cab and ran back to the now well alight car which, to be honest, was too far gone for us to have made any impression on. Just as well that the Fire Station was close by as not one of the four extinguishers actually worked - a fact that didn`t much impress the fire fighters.

As I recall these were black extinguishers with a bronze coloured top (nozzle) which had to be struck against a hard surface to activate. They had a pressure point which could be pushed to determine the status of the extinguisher - good or almost empty. It was in the late 1970`s that extinguishers were moved from RM cabs to the conductor recess area where they were housed in grey boxes in order to combat the problem of being often stolen from cabs. The box had a hole in the top just big enough to reach the extinguisher to pressure check it.

Among the LT documents I have are those that relate to the specific tasks to be undertaken by different grades of garage staff on routine rota inspections. Coachmakers were responsible for checking fire extinguishers as just one of their many check list procedures. The document lists under the section relevant to Cab: fire extinguisher and bracket (un-modified vehicles). Further on under the heading `Inside` it reads: Fire extinguisher, housing and glass (modified vehicles). Unfortunately there is no date on the document but I would guess it to be 1978 - 1980 or thereabouts.

1152 in that picture has the ceiling colour I recall seing on the buses around Streatham during the 1970s. Certainly not sung yellow.

Neil G
Just as well that the Fire Station was close by as not one of the four extinguishers actually worked - a fact that did'nt much impress the fire fighters.

Problem with the fluid (tetrachloride) used in the brass extinguishers was, apart from being highly dangerous if breathed in or left on the skin (it was eventually banned from use), was it was a very good cleaner and degreaser and that is where a lot of the fluid went! All parts that went to Chiswick once stripped were put in a bath of the stuff or one of its variants!

Extinguishers were taken by the dock and running shift to clean or degrease items. It was a serious problem and threats of the sack if caught doing it failed to curb its use in many garages.
Coach makers were indeed supposed to check if they were full but wasn't that on an 8 rota ie every 32 weeks?

The replacement extinquishers, the black ones, were sealed halon extinguishers, also subsequently banned!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs