ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accumulator chargin in the Southwest area.

Evening,

Found out today that Bath Bus Company Ltd are no longer providing accumulator charging service.

Just wondering what the future options might be now. I'm in the Bristol area and I have the feeling I will be travelling to get it done.

Any thoughts?

Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Accumulator chargin in the Southwest area.

Might be cheaper/easier in the long run to set yourself up with the following.

http://www.rmoof.co.uk/Nitogen%20brake%20charging.htm

If you are going to use boc asked if they are still doing the 'boc volkszone offer' as they usually offer a discount to people who ask that.

For my welding gas I use Adams gas, but they do Nitrogen too. its a bit more expensive upfront then boc, but because you pay a deposit on a bottle not rent, after a year of having the bottle you start saving. Of course when you decide to return the bottle for good you get your deposit back making it far cheaper then boc in the long run.

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/?post_type=product&s=Nitrogen

they do both nitrogen for motor racing and a oxygen less nitrogen (along with other nitrogen options)

They have suppliers around the country

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN701)

Re: Accumulator charging

Very helpful Matt! I like the look of the 45cm cylinders - less scary than the tall ones! And .. there seems to be an Adams stockist 100yds from where my bus lives!

My bus number (if any): RM2302

Brian Jennings
I like the look of the 45cm cylinders - less scary than the tall ones!

For the Argon CO2 gas mix I use for welding, I have a 77cm tall (15cm wide) one its hold a good amount but it is small enough and light enough to lug around with my portable welder. Its not as big as it sound given the hight included the valve and valve guard. The 45cm doesn't seem worth it on content, as the bigger the bottle the cheaper the gas per unit and of course needs refilling less often.

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN701)

Thanks Matt - hadn't thought of that. Not sure how many recharges either would be good for. The BOC Genie cylinder looks even more convenient for someone who doesn't use gas otherwise but presumably even more expensive and lower capacity...😊

My bus number (if any): RML2302

The fact that the last 499 psi of contents is useless to you needs to be born in mind, so the smaller bottles are not good value.

Thanks Roy - there's such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum - it's great!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Some interesting replies.

I think I have found somewhere who will do it working out much cheaper then attempting to do it myself.

Many thanks.

My bus number (if any): RML2344