ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Preserved bus insurance

No doubt about it. Entering www.chaucer-insurance.co.uk brings up the Markerstudy Ltd Zenith Marque website.

I've got friends who insure their RMs with NFU Mutual and find them very good indeed. Might be worth enquiring. NFU are by far the best for motor insurance according to Which? magazine.

My Chaucer policies are up for renewal in July.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

NFU couldn't quote for my partner's Land Rover commercial because I said I was a bus engineer! whether or not they'll do the buses for hire and reward I haven't asked yet. I'll stick with Chaucer or whatever they're called this year.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy - can't really see why a "day trip" (not sure exactly what is meant by that) should be any more risky than a free bus service offered to strangers. Rigtons haven't notified me of any changes to my policy yet (renewed just before Christmas) but I'll be investigating further. If it's not possible to take a group of friends out for no charge under social, domestic and pleasure cover I can't think what IS allowed .....

My bus number (if any): RM2302

If you've renewed with Chaucer then the T&Cs at that time should apply unless the broker advises you differently.

I suspect what has happened is that so many people have shall we say, "taken advantage" of the "day out with friends" scenario that the odd day out has become a regular occurrence, much like "doing a friend's wedding" every weekend.

There's someone near me in East Kent with a very nicely restored Leyland coach who has been doing "friends weddings" on a very regular basis for many years and has only recently been advised to get himself properly licenced.

Those of us who are licensed operators pay handsomely for the privilege of doing so along with more strenuous testing and the like which has been mentioned before on here. Those who do "friends weddings" every weekend have the unfair advantage of much lower costs etc. I don't think any one of us objects to the genuine free bus service operations at rallies subject to the usual conditions. The latest edict from the insurers sets out the conditions quit clearly.

Thanks RTB, that's very helpful. I'm sure you're right about the "doing weddings for friends" point - very annoying for those who do get properly licensed at great expense and effort, and potentially disastrous for someone who gets caught out and has to spend the rest of their life paying an enormous personal injury claim not met by insurers. As you will know, an insurance contract is an especially serious one ('uberrimae fidei' - utmost good faith) and people bend the rules at their peril. On the other hand, it's quite difficult to decide what is doing a free trip for friends and therefore covered by "social,domestic and pleasure" (you would think!), or rather, who counts as a friend for that purpose - someone you've known since you were at school (probably) or someone who you've seen once or twice at work and you know their name (hmm..)

My bus number (if any): RM2302

Hi
Can anyone suggest an insurance company(s) that will insure a class VI vintage pcv for private hires on a regular basis (not stage carriage).

Thanks

Richard

Rigtons will do this, costs between £950 and £1200 up to 25 days a year H&R. Probably about £1800 a year if you need more H&R days, I've used them for years when I had regular school runs as well.

Brian Jennings
Thanks RTB, that's very helpful. I'm sure you're right about the "doing weddings for friends" point - very annoying for those who do get properly licensed at great expense and effort, and potentially disastrous for someone who gets caught out and has to spend the rest of their life paying an enormous personal injury claim not met by insurers. As you will know, an insurance contract is an especially serious one ('uberrimae fidei' - utmost good faith) and people bend the rules at their peril. On the other hand, it's quite difficult to decide what is doing a free trip for friends and therefore covered by "social,domestic and pleasure" (you would think!), or rather, who counts as a friend for that purpose - someone you've known since you were at school (probably) or someone who you've seen once or twice at work and you know their name (hmm..)

Following my posts (above) on this subject and Chris's comments about NFU I've just taken out a policy with them at our local office in Northallerton - friendly, helpful service, clear terms that allow everything I need at no extra cost (no hire and reward) and considerably better value than another well-known agency. The only slight drawback is that they don't offer recovery and I wonder if anyone has bought cover direct from a recovery organisation and found them to be good?

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Hi Brian

Could be a problem as the breakdown cover is a lower premium when taken out with the insurance for the vehicle at the same time. I insure my Eurocargo motorhome with Adrian Flux who charge only £90.00 for breakdown cover which includes cover in Europe for 365 days a year. They also cover classic buses, but I do not know whether they provide breakdown cover alone or at what cost.

Ed

We used to get Autohomes Assistance separately from the insurance company for an MCW playbus a few years very reasonably priced maybe worth a call Brian ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Autohomes assistance are a first class outfit I needed recovering and they turned up within an hour of calling.
They sent an 8 wheeler breakdown truck that had all the bells and whistles,the driver was professional and treated the old girl with respect.
Cost of cover taken without an Insurance company was £114 which I thought was pretty good value considering the hourly rate would have been £85 and my job took 5hrs.

Graham Smith
RML2478

My bus number (if any): RML 2478

Thank you very much Ed, Graham and Graham. Rigtons were offering cover at £98 including their commission, but as Ed suggests, I'm not sure yet whether they would do the same price if I just wanted recovery. I'd found Autohome at £113 which seems good based on Graham S's comments but I will see if Flux will do just recovery.

My bus number (if any): RML2302