ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Handbrake stuck and cannot be released

Start the engine and wait till the flag rises. If you press the footbrake down hard you will be able to release the handbrake.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

I never encountered this myself, perhaps there may be a fault with the handbrake ratchet. Or something may have jammed the ratchet teeth. Does the handbrake lever ratchet release, does that release lever actually move when you squeeze the handbrake?

Or perhaps a rear brake shoe Cam turned over. If you are able to jack up the rear wheels one side at a time, you may get an idea if only one wheel is locked up.

I do remember a few buses where their handbrakes would automatically fly on when the foot brake was depressed. We did find that this was caused by a rear brake shoe 'C' spring broken.

just a thought. Please post if you discover anything.

Thanks.

Kaiman
Has anyone encountered this problem? My RM's handbrake is stuck and cannot be released. I have pressed hard on the handle but it won't bulge. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi All, Any feedback from this problem by any chance?