ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recon AEC 760 engine converted to fit Routemaster

The 760 AEC engine was fitted to RCL2259 by Martin at London Bus 4 Hire.

Spot the veg oil conversion?

I drove it back to London from Usk in Wales, keeping track of fuel consumption, (that fuel being Pure Veg Oil), it now gets 15.5 miles per gallon. Used to get between 11 mpg and 13 mpg. It also goes 2 mph faster. topping out at 44 mph.

It has no problem getting up hills . It is using the donor engines fuel pump and various other bits to make it fit. I'm sure Martin could provide more details is anyone wants them. I understand he has another three 760's set to install. For us this was an affordable alternative to having the original engine rebuilt. It would appear all the moving parts have been renewed, and it runs fine.

We did need to upgrade the batteries to 125 amp hour, as the compression is extremely tight.

Have to point out that all of this was achieved with no cuts to the bus, congratulations Martin on a job well done!

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Re: Recon AEC 760 engine converted to fit Routemaster

Probably just be the angle of the photos but looks like it sits lower than my 760 does (going by the position of the hose on the drivers firewall). I don't have any photos to hand of my buses engine so most likely the same.

I think it looks very nice in green contrasting to the the red :-D

Loving the 2 air filters, i'd ask for a set and adaptors to mount them but due to my short bonnet set up the rear one would foul on the bonnet spring :-( .

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN 701)

Re: Recon AEC 760 engine converted to fit Routemaster

Matt
Probably just be the angle of the photos but looks like it sits lower than my 760 does (going by the position of the hose on the drivers firewall). I don't have any photos to hand of my buses engine so most likely the same.

I think it looks very nice in green contrasting to the the red :-D

Loving the 2 air filters, i'd ask for a set and adaptors to mount them but due to my short bonnet set up the rear one would foul on the bonnet spring :-( .

Thanks for your kind comments. The filters are from a tractor, I'm told.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259