ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Only have 2nd and reverse gears.

Jumped in the bus this morning and I can only get 2nd and reverse gears. If I put it into auto I still only get 2nd gear. The speed also not working.

Where is the first place I should start looking? The gearbox oil level is fine. Nothing obvious with the air pipes on the gearbox.

Currently underneath the bus now if you feel you could help. Ring 07760444503.

Many thanks.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Only have 2nd and reverse gears.

Start with the tranducer on the rear axle.

You should also be able to get 1st with the transponder gone. Maybe the fault is in the auto control panel? What engine has your bus got?

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Always a good addition to carry is a get you home plug to isolate the 551 gearbox panel in case of problems.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

I tried a get-you-home plug that someone gave me and it didn't work on my 551 panel,it may have been for a standard RM!

Having spoken at length with tom about his problem, I'm not sure if it's the 7 core inside the EP block that's defective as he says he had an intermittent fault with reverse when it was raining and he's tried replacing the panel with one off another bus and it didn't work at all. I'm just about to send him the emergency "manual rewire" digram when I find it1

If I have this right,

As soon as I received the rewire diagram and carry out the necessary changes this should determine weather the fault lies with the control box or the wiring to the EP block?

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Hi Tom, sorry have mislaid the wiring diagram due to finally tidy up the new workshop, I saw it the other day and will send it this weekend..