ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cooling System

Hi guys - sorry to re-visit an old subject but if you read back I've not really closed this one out!

No matter how far we drive the very bottom of our rad never gets hot, I've just replaced the water pump as we had oil & water weeps (our achiles heel at the moment - after 10 years laid up anything with a joint now seems to be damp) so water circulation should now be good.

What temp' should the thermostat open? I'll check on Monday with infared thermometer.

Also (related) best way/point to re-bleed system - I'm guessing get it hot, open the ranco valve & then the top hose on the saloon heater matrix?? (as it's the highest point??).

Any tips...

My bus number (if any): RM597

Re: Cooling System

Try unblocking the small bleed pipes, one on the header tank, 3/8 diameter pipe, and a similar one on the water pump big pipe. Also, the stainless steel pipe that runs across the top of the header tank, this has swirlyflo fins inside which can get caked up with mud over the years.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Cheers Roy

The small pipe on water pump is ok - I've just had that off as part of the water pump change - but I'll certainly check the other two items.

As another point should that little pipe on the pump be a solid pipe? ours is two small lengths of pipe (each ending with an olive that seals into the unions)joined by a tiny 75mm/3" length of hose. The plain ends of the pipe almost touch making me think it should really be a solid?

Was a bit of a pain actually as when I was tightening up the nut on the union the pipe wanted to rotate @ the hose & kept kinking - another 15min of my life that I won't get back!!

Any tips for bleeding the saloon heater - other than letting the coolant pour down my arm/over the bonnet & into my boots??

My bus number (if any): RM597

The water pump pipe sounds right, 2 small hoses and a solid bit. Is it actually clear? Check the one on the header tank too. The saloon heater is presumably the original type? It should be self-bleeding. Somewhere along there is a Y connection, I've known these to fill up and get blocked by crud.

My bus number (if any): RML2532