ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spaghetti Tricolore and Window Rubber

I wonder if anyone can help me with these two questions please. The hazard warning button on 2302 (Cummins SYT refurb) refuses to stay pushed in, meaning the flashers flash continuously. I opened up the speedo flap and found it was connected to an incredible amount of spaghetti wiring. It is held in by a plastic ring like those on a domestic lampholder which has so far proved impossible to move. I'm told it has about 6 or 8 tags and I haven't been able to identify a replacement. I wonder if anyone else has had to replace one and knows the supplier/part number or a suitable alternative please?

My other question is about the rubber holding in the glass on the upper deck emergency door, which has perished. I know this has come up before. Without taking out the glass I'm unable measure the profile but it looks like IRS1669 in the COH Baines catalogue. Does anyone know if this is suitable please?

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Spaghetti Tricolore and Window Rubber

Try Airlec ar Rye for a replacement hazard switch. Dave there is very helpful. I de-wired the hazard switch on 2532 for a similar reason, it's not a legal requirement on RMs.

Emergency window rubber, I used something from Baines but can't remember what one it was!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks RTB - very helpful as always. Baines are sending me a sample and I'm tempted to dewire as you did, although it can sometimes be useful in the event of embarrassing malfunctions

The wiring on 2532 is a mess in that area, the indicator warning light comes on with main beam and flashes with the indicators, and there's an intermittent fault on the indicators! I think a good re-wire is about to happen!

I have a copy of the cummins diagram if you need it, I can email it to you.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy - I don't have those problems fortunately but I do have the Cummins diagram, although I don't think the colours and numbers of the spaghetti bear much relation to it! I've found what appears to be a suitable alternative on a well-known interweb auction site and when it arrives from Hong Kong in a fortnight I will post the details, if it works.....

I'm reasonably convinced now that Woolies R1669 is the right profile shape but I can't help thinking that the groove for the panel, ie the groove which fits the fibreglass door frame, is a bit narrow at 1.6mm (I notice that my glass from PSV Glass is only 4mm thick rather than 4.7, the width of the glass groove). Phoenix Trim have a section which is similar but has a 3mm groove (IRS1289). I'm not able to check the thickness of the frame without taking the window out but I would have thought that two skins of fibreglass bonded together would have been at least, say, 6mm thick. In that case I think I would need to use one of the profiles without a protruding lip, as seems to have been used on some Route 36 RMLs. Does anyone know how thick the door frame is please?

Tim Barrington would probably know Brian not sure if he reads this forum so maybe contact him direct - I believe his contact details are on the RMOOA site possibly .

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks Graham, yes, I suspect he would - will have a look for his email

PS I see Tim's official email is "technical@routemasterorg.co.uk" 😊

...or even "technical@routemaster.org.uk".....😊

Brian Jennings
I'm reasonably convinced now that Woolies R1669 is the right profile shape but I can't help thinking that the groove for the panel, ie the groove which fits the fibreglass door frame, is a bit narrow at 1.6mm

Two things Brian, the glass supplied by PVS is metric and not the same spec as LT had, on the windscreens it is thicker and so makes the rubber specified for the screens wrong as it is very difficult to fit the new glass spec into the frame.
You sure about Woolies? I cannot see an R 1669 on their site!

The original rubber for the emergency window is no longer available, it has the same profile as the destination glass rubber. We supplied the rubber for an Emergency window I supplied to an owner in France, I cannot remember the Baines number, but it was a laced rubber.
On the subject of Tim Barrington he is on Facebook and can also be contacted by E mail, but he'd rather his mobile number wasn't splashed about without asking him first!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

Hi Brian - thanks for your reply and sorry,it was BAINES 1669. The other Phoenix Trim profile I mentioned is only now available in 300m lengths so I think I will have to resort to a profile which doesn't have the flap offered by 1669. I did wonder if it would be feasible to cut a larger groove using some sort of jig and a router blade or bit but suspect it might not be possible to be accurate enough. The glass isn't actually PVS and could be original LT or Tyneside Glass. Tim did get in touch very quickly through his Routemaster Association email but unfortunately was unable to help.

It's a shame the original non laced glazing rubber profile with the neat invisible locking flap used in blind boxes and drivers OSF window can't be remanufactured as I'm sure many of them are getting a bit tired by now. (RMOOA?) I have fitted the locking strip version back to front with the lace on the inside so it looks more original but am not convinced it is as watertight on the outside that way around.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Be helpful if you can remember the glazing rubber you used Graham, no reason why it should be less watertight, lace is on the outside to stop little fingers pulling it out!!

Brian , It was about ten years ago and it came from Woolies (who probably stocked it from Baines) . The information from Chris's glazing section on the main website - Destination blind window rubber Code number R398-C sounds familiar and the link is still good to the Woolies Website - I always understood that the glazing rubber for the upper deck emergency window wasn't available anymore unless the blind box rubber with the lace fits ?? The multi fitting tool they supply is s must for fitting the lace.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

With a little persistence, PSV Glass supplied me with the old specification glass for the windscreen. It was available “on the shelf” but you had to ask the right questions and not accept the first offering !!

I believe that the current standard windscreen glass fits the newer style replacement windscreens rather than the original ones.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I'm continuing to work on the upper deck emergency door but have more or less accepted that I will have to use glazing rubber without the lip. I am intending to make up new piping to go round the door with 6mm diameter sponge rubber wrapped in vinyl leatherette which seems quite a close match for the original rexine. I've noticed however that the original piping is squashed at the bottom of the door and I suspect therefore that the hinges have dropped. I don't think there is any adjustment on the hinges and assume that the screws go in to wooden blocks in the fibreglass door and frame, which may be rotting. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so if the blocks are accessible for replacement please?

It's a wooden block Brian RM 002 FU4T ( T indicates Timber)
There isn't any adjustment as such on these hinges but over time holes on GRP emergency door may have become elongated, (or bodged!), it shouldn't drop though as secured buy the closing bar. the rubber tubing in the fabric cover will flatten over time as its being squashed!

Thanks Brian - very helpful as always. There's a bit of play in the closing bar so maybe that's contributed a bit to the squashing. There's definitely a smaller gap at the bottom and an over-large gap at the top. Not really a big issue in the scale of things however!

There has to be some play in the bar Brian or it wouldn't move, the rubber tubing has probably not been changed in years and is perished and squashed! Not a hard job to do, bit of tubing and some rexine....

Hi Brian Thanks - I appreciate there has to be some play as you say. The rubber is dense foam rubber rather than tube, at least on mine.

Should be rubber piping Brian, may explain a lot! Easy to get, think there was a mention of it recently.

Thanks again Brian