ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More repairs

Just had RML2325 in for attention to the brakes, the owner's done quite a nice conversion on the interior upstairs and downstairs. Underneath was one of the cleanest I've seen for a while, not spotless but not heaving in dirt!

Off to Glasgow first thing in the morning to sort gearbox electrical problems on another RML based in Edinburgh. And there's me trying to take things easy!!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: More repairs

The one in Edinburgh is Iveco-engined RML2549, soon to be operated by www.redbusbistro.co.uk for tours round Edinburgh.

They're looking for experienced drivers for their tours when operations start next month. Full, part time and casual, must full PSV, driver cpc and digital tacho card.

Re: More repairs

An interesting fault on 2549, I was called to see it after a tacho had been fitted the gearbox failed. A main dealer had fitted a digital tacho and after the bus was driven out of their premises it would't go much over 20mph, wouldn't drop into neutral and was gereally sluggish.

So they suspected a gearbox fault, it was removed and sent to Queensbridge who diagnosed 3rd gear worn almost to excess, but surely this wouldn't cause a total gearbox failure described above? They turned the box round within a week and it was refitted, still with the same problem.

I have to be careful what I say here for legal reasons... when I asked where the tacho drive was taken from "the rear axle" was the answer. It could have been taken from the 551 control panel. BUT, the pulses were wrong from the back axle, so "someone" thought it would be an idea to cut some of the teeth off the drive wheel to make th tcho work properly.

This of course tallied with gearbox failure, because although they'd fitted a separate sender for the tacho as required for a digi tacho, the laws of unintended consequences come into play. I ended up making a set of link wired and by-passed the 551 panel. This proved the gearbox to be perfectly sound as it engaged all gears by manual selection. As it happens Airlec of Rye made a new toothed wheel for the back axle overnight and that was sent to Glasgow for fitment. They intend to use the bolt heads on the rear prop flange to pick up the pulses for the tacho.

So the moral is if you're getting a digital tacho fitted, don't mess with the gearbox sender!