ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early type seats

Hi All,

Would anyone have details for the leatherette type material used on RM seats on the sides of the back and cushion ?

Is there a modern alternative and would anyone have details of a supplier?

Thanks!

Damien.

Re: Early type seats

It's called leathercloth and LT bought a brand from ICI called Rexine. You can still get it from Hewitt of Livingstone or Ratchfords of Stockport (see RM association supplier list for details) but will be quite expensive to do seats with. I believe a lot of trimmers now use a grey vinyl which is OK as long as it doesn't stretch too much and can be stitched as the moquette is stitched to the backcloth and so is very important in the construction of the seat back or squab to give its proper name.

EDIT Just realised you are talking about the leather ends which were phased out on cushions in the early 80s. Its leather! We bought some for our RT seats I believe we got it from Martins upholstery supplies, Mereworth, near Paddock Wood Kent. Just off the A26. Others may know other suppliers !

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

Leather tends to be rather expensive and usually you have to buy a complete hide. Luckily my trimmer, tim the Trim at Faversham had some in stock when he done my GS seats a few years back as someone wanted an RT done at the same time.

Rexine can be bought from the suppliers Brian mentioned, but again can be expensive per metre, but then a roll can be several £100's.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks for the help!

A word of caution regarding the "Rexine" from the suppliers Brian mentioned, strictly speaking neither supply Rexine per se, the material is actually book covering.

I have used the cloth from Hewit & sons for about 17 years but only for internal paneling and seat backs, it wouldn't be suitable for a leather replacement on seat edges. The main drawbacks are - zero stretch, very thin, not hard warring, not that easy to clean, no mould inhibitors, not uv resistant and is becoming as (or more) expensive than good quality expanded PVC vinyls. When my stock runs out i will discontinue its use.

As for the (shiny) Ratchfords cloth.... just use it for books, i gave away a roll of the green!

Dave Simmons
A word of caution regarding the "Rexine" from the suppliers Brian mentioned, strictly speaking neither supply Rexine per se, the material is actually book covering.

I have used the cloth from Hewit & sons for about 17 years but only for internal panelling and seat backs, it wouldn't be suitable for a leather replacement on seat edges.

I may have confused people talking about rexine as I didn't read the original post properly and took leatherette to mean rexine.
I didn't intend to suggest it was an alternative to the leather ends on RT/RM seats. I'm not sure you have to buy a hide though, we bought a roll for our RT seats use from the supplier I mentioned.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs