ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Windows and seat sizes !

Hi , I friend of mine is currently having RM 2173 restored. When complete I'm having the massive job of detailing (which is a more OCD standard of valeting ) the bus . This is to include protective coatings to the seats and glass. I could do with working of the square metres I need to cover . Does anyone know the size of the windows and also the size of the seat squabs and backrest???

Re: Windows and seat sizes !

Paul
Hi , I friend of mine is currently having RM 2173 restored. When complete I'm having the massive job of detailing (which is a more OCD standard of valeting ) the bus . This is to include protective coatings to the seats and glass. I could do with working of the square metres I need to cover . Does anyone know the size of the windows and also the size of the seat squabs and backrest???

What does protective coatings to seats and widows mean? Plastic film, protective plastic covers?
Squabs are the proper name for the seat backs, what you sit on are "cushions".

As a rough guide, each seat squab and cushion is 25" by 36" (that was the moquette size used, if you use that for all seats including the 4 seats you won't be far wrong.
On the ROOF site it details that you will need 33.5 metres of moquette for an RM BUT that is 50" wide material so double the original size used.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

I don't know what protective stuff you intend putting on the windows, but any protective coating on windows must not affect their ability to act as safety glass as the London operators found out when they had a big problem with window etchings a few years back.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks for the replies . The protection I'm talking about is made by a company called gtechniq. It's a advanced scothguard type coating for the seats which means any splits will sit on the surface and not stain etc . The glass coating is a liquid product that bonds at a molecular level to the glass to make water bead off and it also greatly helps the glass keep clean and has a life of around 2 years .

Hi Paul does the scotchguard also protect against moth attacks as the moquette has a high wool content and moth attacks seem to be on the increase !(bus seats and my best wool jumpers!)

My bus number (if any): RML2747

It annoys me when the moths fly out of my wallet every time I go to buy a round (about every 8 years). :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532