ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Large Hexagonal Grease Nipples

Does anyone know the thread type on the large hexagonal slide-on grease nipples and/or where replacements can be bought please?

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Large Hexagonal Grease Nipples

I've come across 3 threads on the hex grease nipples, bsf/bsw and UNF. No doubt there's some with BSP as well..

I suspect PSV Partsmaster can supply them, I've got a small stock with bsf threads if that's any help.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks for the very quick reply! - it's for a friend and I'll let him know that info.

When we did the grease up on RM 48 in France, prior to the aborted attempt to drive it to the UK, we found a complete mix of grease nipples, on some we had to use an old RT/L hand push grease gun with a large end to slot over the nipples, on others the IVECO dealer was able to use his standard greaser equipment which would have been metric!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

Don't forget that this RM had left London via Scotland to France, so it may not be a true standard example anymore.

And push-on types should be for oil and the remainder (the slide-on type) are for grease on an RM.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

That was the point Andrew. A lot of RMs post LT had parts refurbed by a number of firms and grease nipples were changed on many to metric sizes, no standardisation at all.
We used the LT Manual to identify all the greasing points. LT also changed some points from grease to oil at a later date, I had to supply a grease gun for the big nipples as the modern grease gun kit just didn't fit!

The most difficult ones to deal with are the ones on the window bars. I have yet to find a grease nozzle to fit them properly.

Dave Simmons had a supplier I think Roy or at least knows the size

Hi Brian

As far as I recall most are 3/8 BSF, I needed two for RM597 when we 1st acquired it one on the rear prop'(I then also needed an extension) and one on one of the O/S steering linkages.

I bought a bag full on fleebay (10 or 12 I think) for about £8.00 including postage..

My bus number (if any): RM597 & RM1971

Thanks.Stuart - the consensus does seem to be that they should be 3/8 BSF and that size is mentioned in Andrew Morgan's Haynes Manual.

Brian - Namrick supply imperial grease nipples 45 or 90 degree online

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks Graham!

Graham Brown
Brian - Namrick supply imperial grease nipples 45* or 90*
degree online

May I also add that all the small angled & straight lubrication points for grease or oil should be 1/4" BSF thread.

The larger hexagon (button type) nipple also now known as a Tat Head grease nipple should also have a 3/8" BSF thread.

The Tat head nipple has a Pt No T1B-6-BF

A supplier for the above is :- Harrison Lubrication Engineering Ltd
Bolton. Lancashire.
01204 691352

Cheers, just ordered some!!

My bus number (if any): RML 2353, MB 306