ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VEG OIL Routemaster for those interested in how we did it, and those who said it couldn't be done.

https://youtu.be/1TXuUO3jj3Y

My bus number (if any): RCL2599

Re: VEG OIL Routemaster for those interested in how we did it, and those who said it couldn't be do

I ran RML2532 on a neat bio diesel for 2 years with no noticeable problems and no modifications. I stopped using bio diesel when it became the same price as road diesel.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: VEG OIL Routemaster for those interested in how we did it, and those who said it couldn't be do

roythebus
I ran RML2532 on a neat bio diesel for 2 years with no noticeable problems and no modifications. I stopped using bio diesel when it became the same price as road diesel.
It is not that hard to open a Bestways or other cash and carry account if you are willing to buy in bulk, (only 20 litres at a time). With that you pay about 70p per litre, roughly half the price.

My bus number (if any): RCL2599

Maybe, but there's a difference between neat veg oil and bio diesel!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I thought it had to be "used" vegetable oil? Which is why chip shops were selling it!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

royth is usually 50 % Veg Oil 50% ebus
Maybe, but there's a difference between neat veg oil and bio diesel!

Bio Diesel is usually 50% Veg Oil, 50% Diesel.

Ours being described in the linked video runs on neat veg oil. Yes there is a difference. Neat Veg Oil needs to be preheated. hence the kit described. It does not have to be used oil, but it can be.

Compare the time you need to spend filtering Chip Shop Oil, to the cost of fresh oil at 70p per litre, and you may as well use the fresh stuff.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259