ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM bulb holders

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase interior bulb holders for a RM as I would like to convert the strip lighting back to the original bulb lighting.

Thanks

Graham

My bus number (if any): RTL 1323. RM 1174. RML 2619

Re: RM bulb holders

Simon and Kevin Austin at Squirrel Preservation do them.

Mobiles: 07949516399 & 07956107636

My bus number (if any): RM's 446, 548, 765 and 1783

Not everyone is a fan of the so called 'original' appearance, so since there are a very substantial number of buses out there which will and do require spare parts for Transmatic lighting, Rubbolite front indicators, rear lights and corner panels etc, etc. Rather than junk these items it would be good to see these 'unwanted' parts offered to and stocked by the RM assoc.

Well said Roy - as it's been said many times, it's almost impossible to return a refurbed bus to completely "original" condition and I really feel my London Central liveried bus in unaltered condition is just as much an authentic London bus as any...

My bus number (if any): RML2302

BMAC of London still supply the original bulb holders although they are not cheap.Any good engineering firm with a cnc lathe can turn the cups down for you from aluminium bar,and make the steel fixings,Or you can buy a pack of 27mm steel washers and weld the fixing lugs to them and use a domestic light bulb holder,bearing in mind there isn't much clearance between the roof panels upstairs,I have used none switching brass ones successfully costing about £3 each.Again offer the old light units to other owners who may require spares.

My bus number (if any): RML2551

You forgot heater controls & "Ranco" valves Roy, & for the really adventurous the front heater matrix - shut off blind!! (took me about a week just to strip 597' so I could refurbish it & get it working)..

My bus number (if any): RM597 & RM1971

The other problem of converting back to original lighting is getting the right size light bulbs. It's been discussed on here before.

The correct 50mm globes are not available from stock and would have to be specially made. I found someone who can make them but the minimum order is 1000 bulbs at around £3.50 each plus VAT.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

RM bulb holders

...some good yellowish 24v 50mm B22d LED lamps are on their way and won't be much more than £3.50 +VAT each for a 1000. I'll post details and pictures when I've tried one. They are being manufactured for the un-refurbished British Railways Mk1 coaches used by most preserved railways.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

I have just had confirmation this morning that CEAG can supply from stock LT spec 24v 22w 50mm globe bulbs at £22.50 plus carriage for a box of 10.

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Sounds like a good price.

My bus number (if any): RML2532