ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Certificate Of Initial Fitness

Looking for a little bit of help and guidance regarding a COF or COIF.

When a new vehicle is delivered, they must be issued with a Certificate of Initial Fitness ( or COIF ) to prove that they are safe and roadworthy. If I am right, in LT days, these would have been for 7 years ???

So, if a vehicle reaches its COIF expiry date, legally speaking it should not be used in service. If however the operator wished to use the vehicle say for example six months beyond this date, what would they have had to do? Could an extension be granted, or was a new assessment required - an MOT ?

Just trying to understand the process - any help appreciated !!!

My bus number (if any): DMS2216

Re: Certificate Of Initial Fitness

I can't remember the original COIF arrangement, but all buses in service in about 1982 were granted grandfather rights and given a COIF. Any bus that was not in service then and was wanted for further service would have to undergo a new COIF examination. I've probably had a dozen or so buses certified over the years, RTs, RMs, RFs, a GS, RTW, Bedford OBs.

Under the current COIF regime the certificate does not have an end date, unlike the old system. these days buses have to undergo the annual test (MoT class 6 as we know it) if they are used in service, depending of course on age. Pre-1960 vehicles of any sort do not need an annual test regardless of use. But, as we've discussed before on here at length, PSVs are subject to the periodic inspection regime quoted on the operator's licence, maybe 4,6,8,12 weeks or more.

So, to use a bus in service today the bus needs a current COIF, annual tst certificate (depending on age), taxed as a BUS, not HISTORIC, must be operated by a licenced PSV operator and display a current operators licence disc, must be driven by the holder of an appropriate licence, and of course be insured for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward. Anything I've left out?

If you're unsure if a bus has a current COIF, I have the number of the PSV Technical office in Bristol where a very hepful chap will tell you yes or no.

A COIF exam costs around £350 and can only be undertaken at certain VOSA/DVSA testing stations. My local one is Gillingham, Kent..

My bus number (if any): RML2532

All above accurate I think. You left out

.. must have a tachograph calibrated within the last two years (unless only used for stage carriage work under domestic hours regulations)

also

.. should have front tyres less than 10 years old (though this should be checked at the MOT)

If you want to find out if there is a COIF for your DMS you can write to

PSV Centre
91/92 The Strand
Swansea
SA1 2DH

with the registration number (and chassis number in case the registration number has changed).

Give them a phone number and they will phone you to let you know if they have a record of a COIF or not. If they have, in exchange for a £23.00 fee payable by card on the phone they will send you a valid copy. The copy will have an expiry date on it, but as Roy says, it is now valid forever and doesn't need to be renewed. Odd to think of the expression grandfather rights applied to a bus!

I think the fee for a COIF, including tilt test is £293. It is a lot but it includes an MOT certificate valid for a year. It is sometimes possible to get to talk to your regional certification officer who can be quite helpful.

If you have a Government test centre as close as Roy’s is you are lucky. Most of them have closed down!

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

Yes, you're right there Chris. If your bus has a valid COIF, you'll need to make sure if you present if for class 6 test that various other bits comply such as first aid kit, approved fire extinguisher, safety glass markings for buses post 1968, legal lettering such as emergency door markings.

As we've discussed before, standards for class 5 and class 6 tests are rather different, the other roy is probably more up to speed on this than I am.

It may be a case that if yours has the COIF, a lass 6 test is all you'll need (plus an operators licence) to grt back into revenue -earning service, but, the latest hurdle, you can't use a non-wheelchair accessible bus on regular bus services! That's another subject and probably out of scope of this thread.

If Steve cares to contact me with his registration number I'll phone the PSV office in Bristol and ask the question.

My bus number (if any): RML2532