ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interior/Exterior Advert Wiring

I've used 24V 60 LED per metre 10MM IP65 LED TAPE very successfully for the blind boxes in RM471. It comes in 5 metre lengths and can be cut every 10 centimetres. I mounted it on plastic trunking and left the existing lamp sockets in place. 5 metres is just enough for all the blind boxes. There are easy to use connectors available but I decided to solder mine. I prefer the cool white for this purpose but warm white is available. I'm going to use it for the interior light when I get round to re-fitting it.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

Stuart Mulberry

My RM wiring diagram doesn't show either of the illuminated adverts so I'm flying blind.

Is there an appendix or additional diagram that shows where & how these two should be wired in?

Hi Stuart.

It may be on later drawings as it was an alteration.
From memory the supply comes from the same point in the cab as the supply to the heater fuse, thus it only operates when the engine is running. It feeds the switch and fuse in the switch assembly you mentioned and then runs back to the fitting. The negative runs directly from the cab. Check it isnt already at the fuse/switch by running the engine and using a test lamp between the fuse and a known -ve.

The fitting has a tube and an inverter fitted within it so not like the external advert lighting with remote inverters.

Unfortunately the LED tubes that replace fluorescent tubes are either 230V with internal drivers or if they have an external driver the driver output tends to be 36V. I have a China based contact sourcing 24V LED tubes to replace refurb bus lamps to simplify the installation. I want to offer a range for any bus application where standard tubes exist but will not look at anything with less than a three year warranty so it is taking a little time.

You could look at at 230v LED tube but would need a small 24V to 230V inverter to run it or 24V strips as suggested by Chris. These are more readily available but may not have an equal life expectancy of a tube.

David

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

Similar Roy, behind the upper deck N/S rear seat we have a plate that has a bank of 5 inverters, a terminal block with 5 smallish black wires & i big one, 5 red wires - which I assume are the power supply/feeds for the inverters.

There are also additional black & purple wires coming off the inverters & diapearing - I assume to the O/S where the advert was.

There is no big red feed wire - but we have a few loose wires running to & from a box (which I assume is a switching relay - so that the downstairs switch is not carrying the full load) - I've not got as far as looking at this yet.

Then I also have all the loose wires under the stairs!!

This is way down the list of jobs to do & I shouldn't have really started looking at it I'm not even sure if we intend to re-instate the outside advert - BUT WE NEED to understand what we have or haven't got to make that call..

My bus number (if any): RM597 & RM1971

The RMC wiring diagram is huge, 6 or 8 large sheets and far too much to copy. When I find them, I'll try and describe what does what.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Cheers Roy

I beleive Tim Barrington also has the RM9 drawings that show this detail (not sure how I'm going to get it from him either)..

My bus number (if any): RM597 & RM1971