ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake Fluid Change.

So now I have diagnosed my brake issue and sourced the replacement 9-way valve I thought it would be a good time to do a complete hydraulic fluid change and clean the filter at the same time.

The RM Manual covers me for the 9-way and filter cleaning but there is no mention of the best way to drain/change the hydraulic fluid unless I have missed it?

Anyone able to suggest the best way to remove as much as the old oil as possible?

Bleeding the brakes till running clean I got but what able the rest of the equipment?

Lastly when removing the the above parts the RM Manual mentions discharging the brakes, I assume this means pressure on the fluid side, but should I also de-pressurise the accumulators or is there no need?

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Re: Brake Fluid Change.

Northern General had extensive engineering and overhaul works which like some other provincial bus companies, replicated on a smaller scale those of London Transport; even to the extent of manufacturing their own designs of vehicle. However if they in any way followed their southern compatriot's methods then the tank has probably never been off and cleaned out since the vehicle was new. It is probably now about time that it did come off. At least you will be able to get at the breather more easily.

Yeah i plan to drop the header tank to clean it once empty to the filter, i had noticed when under the bus doing the diagnosis on the brake system the breather was filthy.

The brake oil filters are still available, I can't remember the part number off-hand though.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Roythebus, yeah I got the part number (Fleetguard LF563) from one of your posts back from 2012 cheers

sounds about right.

My bus number (if any): RML2532