ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Number Plates -what font/typeface?

Thanks for the above. Jack accurately said that "Surprisingly, LT never used it's own or the Johnston font for registration numbers. The correct font was used in two sizes.." but didn't say what the correct font is. Could trace and my local vinyl lettering place will copy.

Still interested to know what font it is. I can find ones with the right curly 3 but the 7 is wrong, or the right 7 but the 3 is wrong. A mystery!

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

Save yourself the trouble, Simon of Squirrel Preservation has both sizes in stock in sticky vinyl, the correct font too, not too expensive either. He's scanned them from Lt originals along with a lot of other stuff. why keep duplicating effort?

My bus number (if any): RML2532

The correct font used on LT buses does not have an official name. Which is quite possibly why it is not easily available.
It is definitely not a Johnston face.

This is a detail that even some of the most painstakingly restored buses ( and other vehicles) have fallen down on.

Even the latest refurbished Heritage RMs are now appearing sporting the wrong font when previously the Stagecoach vehicles had the correct ones. ( The First bus vehicles had been fitted with pressed alloy plates - smart but also non LT )

I researched this some years ago now and found that there are two sizes but the font was the same.
The smaller size came about because of seven character registrations replacing the 6 max character combinations
Jack's details are completely correct.

There are subtle differences between the Johnston Font used for some number plate characters and the correct font.

All LT buses carried transfers. Applied directly on the rear and onto a flat plate at the front. Pressed square plates were only used on BEA RMs for the trailer and were retained in a slot in the drivers cab.

All LT PSV vehicles carried the same white on black plates in the same font. Including DMS, Metrobuses and Titans.
Reflective number plates became mandatory for all road vehicles in 1973 ( M ) but the last LT bus with black and white plates were C reg Metrobuses. Seems LT got a dispensation from the DoT that ran on for quite a while.

What I did find is the font was a standard font for Government and state run organisations.

LT, GPO Post Office Telephones and Royal Mail along with several Gas and Electricity companies, Military and GLC and ILEA vehicles all used this font usually pressed plates but white letters on matt black and not polished alloy or raised letters. Transfers were widely used.

The original transfers were supplied to LT by Tearns who are still around based in Birmingham. They were varnish fix.

Tearns also made most transfers for British Railways and still do although vinyl has succeeded varnish fix.

The last time I spoke with them they do still have the master sets of both sizes of font but these have not been digitised. The cost is about £10 per character. That's 26 Letters and 10 numerals but x 2 to cover both sizes.

Once digitised though, they can be produced in self adhesive vinyl and retail at about .50p each.

But as it seems it's already been done by a few suppliers it's probably not going to happen.

Stagecoach at Upton Park and Bow used a local supplier in the East London area for their small fleet of RMs who clearly do have the right font in the right size. It may well be the place in Rainham mentioned But also the Squirrel ones are also correct - at least the samples I saw were.

The Trolleybus font differed again and like destination blind fonts and fleet number sizes did not conform with the motor bus regimentation right to the end.

RM89 when a showbus at Riverside sported Trolleybus style number plates with a squared off 8 and 9.

I got a set of them scanned many years ago by the long-gone PG signs. I still have the artwork here. But, as I said earlier, why keep duplicating the efforts of others? I've used the Squirrel number plate vinyls and they look the part on 2532 and on MLL738.

Roy,

Mark's entry does not suggest further duplication, in fact it acknowledges the fact that these are now available.

But he does provide a detailed background and detail the original LT supply source and the likely high costs.

All this has happened since the original postings so an awareness of who, what and where is surely a good thing is it not?

Yes of course, what I was trying to say was to prevent several of us going to great lengths to get stuff done when it's already been done. competition is always good anyway, so we are told!

BTW, I have no business connection with the guys at Squirrel Preservation except as a satisfied customer for their vinyl number plate letters. :)

Hi all great to hear on this subject keeps the mind going ,I totally agree roy the bus with your comments on the 18th and 19th
just to let you all know over the years we have liased with the L.T. Museum and various other people as they do not carry all the transfers and we have even exchanged so that ones I have not had and vice versa
this is how we started many years ago looking to get items we all need to keep our vehicles restored in what ever condition we like
if any one has any they do not recognise by all means email me the BP number
we are always interested in new ones ,we don't have every transfer for early vehicles but do come across a few suprises our stock covers from 1928 on some vehicles for all types of LT vehicles and as previous threads have mentioned we can do in vinyl
as this subject is and can get long winded a interesting way to understand is to google gill sans and Johnston sans both typeface of the lettering used and commissioned by Frank Pick in 1913
also the following was formed
1979 new Johnston
1997 P22 underground
1999 ITC Johnston
2007 Johnston Delf smith digitalised by TFL

My bus number (if any): RF444 now sold ,RM1000,RCL 2238 RT4782