ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cab Floor Paint Colour

Hi All,

Does anyone know the modern code for the brown paint used on the cab floor?

Thanks in advance.

David

My bus number (if any): 446, 548, 765, 1783

Re: Cab Floor Paint Colour

It's listed here somewhere. Just tried to find it for you to no avail.

But smooth Hammerite chocolate brown is almost an exact match unlike the RAL coded version which is way off.

The BS coded tint is the one to go for.

Only a small part of the floor is brown, the rest is black.

Thanks Jack.

That was going to be my next question, what was black and what was brown, does anyone have a photo of how the cab should be correctly painted?

David

My bus number (if any): 446, 548, 765, 1783

Williamsons list the original colour, I'll look it up and post it later.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I will try and dig out some photographs later and attempt to post them here.

The Brown is used on the steering column, Part of the seat frame The side panel from the floor to the line at the emergency window,
The filter cover and pipe, The panel behind the seat to the rivet line of the window, the electrical box cover.
Part of the lower door and part of the floor where the track runs.

The rest is matt black although this has a slight sheen. So Semi matt in todays money!

The cab of RM 1563 is still as it was in LT days so maybe the photos will answer the question - except that there were variations whereby the lower part of the cab door was painted black instead of brown as was the floor panel beneath the assault alarm. The floor panel that has the radio activation pedal shows signs of both brown and black paint.

Whilst I was taking the pictures, one of 1563`s shed mates was being made ready for a trip. Some might prefer a nice pair of Bristol`s. Hard luck, here`s a nice pair of Leyland`s instead!

Chiswick brown is the answer. I used that in 2532's cab a couple of years ago and it looks nice. Th problem is I've now lost the tin of Chiswick brown and can only find the dark chocolate brown!!

Williamsons list both colours, I'll have to phone them to get the colour numbers as they told me them over the phone nd I forgot to write them down. It's an age thing. :(

My bus number (if any): RML2532