ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hydraulic Oil/Filter change - with Photos!

So the other day I finally got around to changing out my faulty 9way valve, can you tell which is the one with issues????

Anyway I thought while the part is being changed it would be a good opportunity to do a hydraulic oil change and of course the filter too.
While speaking to some owners I known, a good few said they had never done this themselves or seen in the header tank so thought I posted few photos on here to show how easy it was change to the filter.

Important thing to remember when you remove the sump plug in the tank, hold your bucket up to the sump plug as close as you can. As the plug is on the side not the bottom when the tank is full the weight of the oil in the tank causes the oil to eject a good 8inchs from the plug as it falls, in my case not where my bucket was.

Also remember to have a big bucket as mine was only 10litres and I had to stop, empty it and go again. I estimate about 12litres came out of the header the systen holds about 15Lires in total.

Once empty you can now remove the 6 retaining bolts on the tanks filler/viewing panel, it is a great opportunity to clean it up and remove all the black road dirt. On mine the Oil level viewing panel was also pretty dirty, if you turn the plate over (sorry forgot to get a photo of this) there is 6 screws holding a steel back plate to the back of the window. The screws were easily removed and I just wipe the window with a rag before replacing the back plate and screws, now I can easily see the oil level.

Next remove the old filter (mine didn’t have one!!!!! Mostly likly the cause of my brake woes) which is held in place by a long bolt and capping plate pressed down with spring. Once the plate and bolt is removed the filter should come out easily.

As you can see my oil was due a change, the last bit of oil in the filter housing is trapped in a bit of sump, but can be easily soaked up with an old rag.

The new filter can then be simply pushed back in.

The hardest part of the whole filter change was replacing the bolt and filter cap as the bolt goes into a raised socket that conveniently has edges that taper away from the hole (as you can see in photo with dirty oil). If this wasn’t already had enough when you think you have it located, ‘Ping!’ the spring pushes it out again and you start again. After a few minutes of trying to locate the hole and get the threads started before the tension of the spring got the better of me, I got the filter secured

Don't forget to replace the tanks filler/viewing panel!

All in all draining the tank and changing the filter took me 15 minutes, I didn’t fill it up as I was changing other parts too!

Thanks RoyTheBus for the filter part number.
(For those wanting to do this job - Fleetguard LF563 – cost me about £10.00)

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Re: Hydraulic Oil/Filter change - with Photos!

That's great Matt! Thank you for taking the trouble to do the notes and photographs - pictures are REALLY helpful!😃

My bus number (if any): RML2302