ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One of the last London Country RML`s

Very few London Country RML`s remained in service into the 1980`s. Most had either been withdrawn pending scrapping or bought by LT as 1979 ended.

Here`s a picture of RML 2453 heading away from Dartford up East Hill on 2 Feb 1980 which must have been in the last days of Routemasters on the 480. This busy Northfleet based route became known for a particularly shabby fleet of RML`s - almost all of which didn't make it into the 1980`s. Although not exactly pristine, RML 2453 which came from Staines to spend its last few weeks at Northfleet, looked quite tidy in comparison - despite the rear dome dents!

Re: One of the last London Country RML`s

Neil,

Thanks for posting, another very evocative snap.

From what I remember of London Country's standards by the 80's I'm sure they would have considered this to be in mint condition!

Regards,

Danny

Northfleet's buses paintwork suffered because of the now largely long-gone heavy industries - paper mills and cement works being the biggest - in the immediate vicinity. Particularly the latter creating a dust laden atmosphere which smothered everything around.

http://kenttodayandyesterday.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/demolition-of-blue-circle-lafarge.html

Interesting point, Roy.

I`ve just zoomed in on the original and very visible on the sills of all the lower deck nearside windows is a layer of cement type dust which is also apparent on the sill of the back window too along with a film of the stuff covering the entire bus more noticeable when zoomed in. It`s actually quite a mess and if the bus was washed the previous night that`s some build up by what I would guess is probably lunchtime / early afternoon based on me having to get there from Chiswick - and with limited daylight in early February and lights not being used, it can`t be much later than 4pm.
What must these buses have been like by end of day and how did the bus wash filters cope? Wouldn`t do the bus radiator much good either?

More on the subject:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943905-revell-london-country-480-routemaster-the-old-school-bus/

This one finished up at Brixton on the final day of the 159

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21611052@N02/6231294680