ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RT tantrums

roythebus
....Of course on the RT the header tank only fills while the bus is moving, and the header tank takes about a gallon, and the bus does 8mpg, hence it ran out of fuel every 8 miles!

So on the header fuel tank, is it okay to remove the large nut on the top right side and pour in diesel, so as to fill it direct, and help me fire the engine up even with a possible blockage further back to the main tank?

I don't want the bus standing for a period of time before I sort out the fuel blockage issues. I have had the main filter out, and with the use of printer's machine blanket and roller wash, (this is strong stuff), have got the filter to a state where you can see day light when looking inside, and diesel now passes through. But I have yet to try to start the bus, so a blockage could exist before the header tank, as some here think likely.

John

Steve Downing

Rattlesnake/rattleshake (or whatever your name is) -

It's Rattletrap, Steve - that is the name I have for my bus, 'Rattletrap RT', which I think suits it, especially at the moment! Google Rattletrap to see description...

Well, very interesting replies from everyone, with varying opinions! I am concerned that I with my minimum knowledge/experience of RTs - than many of you with far greater experience of these buses but still, even so differ in opinion - may well be set to have an uphill struggle. None the less I will plough on. I would have thought that there would be a small filter before the lift pump fuel inlet, and thus the first place to investigate?

Having said that, when I removed the main filter cannister to take out the filter, it was brim to the top with fuel, whereas I expected to it be empty???

John

My bus number (if any): Rattletrap RT

The small chassis mounted filter IS between the main tank and the lift pump and yes it is the first to block up, as are the unions in its filter head. I would expect you to find contamination inside it, if it actually has an element inside that is - it being not unknown for people to throw filter elements away.

So, what to do? check this filter then look in the tank with a torch, after that undo the drain plug carefully and drain a gallon out of the main tank into a clean container which is capable of holding at least two gallons. When that has settled you will know what you are up against. You can do the same thing with the bulkhead tank.

It could be that the diesel in the tank has started waxing. It's also possible it is contaminated. So better to drain the entire system from the tank and remove and clean the entire system as components. Safer as away from the bus and easier to inspect each item.
Be very careful what you use as some modern cleaners can dissolve soldered and braised joints or trigger corrosion. Some are combustible and produce toxic vapours so ventilation and spark free working environment necessary. Make sure you know the flash point and compression flash point of what you use.

A feed hose line from a 1 gallon tank fed into the final line to the injectors should get it running.

Yes, the RT in my garage has the tank off at the moment but still runs in and out of the shed using the fuel in the header tank.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

J Annereau
I do find it a worry that people can buy an old bus, not having a comprehensive mechanical knowledge and drive it on the public road.

More so that the oldest vehicles do not have to have an MOT test.

Don't worry yourself too much, I've had a crack at my RT's apparent fuel problem. However, to no avail. I do not have the facility for any comprehensive stripping if the fuel system, nor sufficient knowledge or any experience before with such a problem.

Any one here interested in a trip to north London, expenses paid to have a go at this?

Reply by email please
John

What is it you want done, do you have facilities for getting under the bus such as a pit or lifts? Like a lot on here, I'm getting beyond the stage of crawling under buses on the ground and advancing years mean I need additional ground clearance!

I still go out as "man and van" to do repairs, yesterday it was to Welham Green to sort a brake problem on a routemaster for someone.

Send me an email if you're interested.

roy
The small chassis mounted filter IS between the main tank and the lift pump and yes it is the first to block up, as are the unions in its filter head. I would expect you to find contamination inside it, if it actually has an element inside that is - it being not unknown for people to throw filter elements away.

So, what to do? check this filter then look in the tank with a torch, after that undo the drain plug carefully and drain a gallon out of the main tank into a clean container which is capable of holding at least two gallons. When that has settled you will know what you are up against. You can do the same thing with the bulkhead tank.

In the LT operating days of yesteryear, a GSI (General Service Instruction) was issued to all garages that on the onset of winter all fuel chassis filters elements be removed and replaced at the advent of spring.

The positioning of this filter mounted on the chassis was exposing it to all the elements that winter could give.

These filters were constructed of a fine metal gauze, slowing the flow of fuel which now froze, causing a wax residue to form around the element therefore causing fuel starvation.

No problem for the running shift to attend on callout.
One man with a replacement bus for the crew, and a dummy header tank to get home.

I would suggest it be prudent for all RT vintage bus owners in this day and age, to possess a small tank for such use.

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering

roythebus
What is it you want done, do you have facilities for getting under the bus such as a pit or lifts? Like a lot on here, I'm getting beyond the stage of crawling under buses on the ground and advancing years mean I need additional ground clearance!

I still go out as "man and van" to do repairs, yesterday it was to Welham Green to sort a brake problem on a routemaster for someone.

Send me an email if you're interested.

I've fiddled about, cleaned the filter and drained and refilled the head fuel tank. After some bleeding at the business end, she seems to be running?

However, I have no breakdown cover at the moment, so dare not go out on the road. I know Rigton can provide breakdown cover - but not for a day only. I will not be using the bus other than say, for a day a month. Who do people here have their breakdown cover with - do you have to pay a lump sum for a whole year, or do you get cover as requested for the odd run? Similarly, who else other than Rigton does bus insurance at a reasonable rate?

John

I don't think the Rigtons breakdown scheme is unreasonable at a bout £89 a year. A lot of us only use their buses a few times a year. Otherwise you're looking at a minimum of about £280 for a tow truck from a breakdown company.

Take a couple of gallons of spare fuel with you, if the fuel system fails, fill the header tank and off you go again...unless the injection pump fails, which is also a possibility for a bus that has stood for years.