ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Castrol TD/Q

Whilst clearing out my garage today I came across a 25l plastic container marked "Castrol TD/Q" (automatic transmission fluid). It was about half full and I was struggling to remember what it was used for. I THINK I ended up with it because a garage that I used in the early years of my Routemaster ownership about ten years ago used it to fill my fluid flywheel, wrongly thinking this was causing gearbox problems, and I had to pay for the whole container full. At the time I didn't know any better but browsing through old posts it looks like (if it WAS used to fill the flywheel, which I am not certain about) this was quite the wrong fluid to use and I am concerned that it could have caused some damage over the years. It seems that what should have been used was "lawnmower oil" and I am wondering if I should be draining the flywheel and if it is possible to do that without removing the fusible plug? Sorry to be so vague but advice would be very welcome please - I'm hoping the answer is "It OK, you just paid for something far too expensive for the purpose... "!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Castrol TD/Q

PS The fact that half of the 25l drum has been used would seem to fit with the 13.3l capacity of the fluid flywheel - can't think what else it could have been used for...

Hello Brian,

I have just had a quick trawl through the search engine of Alan's forum which reveals that you had a problem in 2010 upon which there was discussion about your flywheel. Please have a read through this again particularly Colin's replies on the subject.

There was some doubt about which flywheel you had fitted. There were several different ones fitted. A very small batch had a lock-up clutch incorporated, about which there has never been any discussion. Some Cummins C series engines had the standard AEC flywheel, but IIRC many had this replaced with a Voith fluid coupling.

The Voith coupling is easy to identify since it has numerous prominent radial fins and only one very small orifice for filling with oil. The only mention about oil for it is that it requires an EXACT quantity of oil and that it MUST NOT USE the same oil as the AEC flywheel. There has never been any mention of the grade of oil required.

You would be best advised to contact Voith UK firstly and if unsuccessful to try Cummins UK Help Line. You will need your engine number which is on a plate on the top of the timing case, it will start 211***** One of these should be able to identify the exact model of coupling fitted and the oil specified. The Voith to which I have regular access does not have any manufacturer's details on it, nor has it ever leaked.

Hi Roy Thank you - I knew you would be able to give me some good advice! You're quite right about the comments on Alan's forum - because the problem was actually in the gearbox (which was then rebuilt at Ossett) I didn't pursue the flywheel points any further. It does rather sound as if I have the Voith flywheel because it has lots of fins and perhaps therefore TD/Q was an appropriate fluid. I'll investigate further and of course follow your advice. Thank you again!

Whoops - it's actually called TQ-D (although I'm not sure if it's produced anymore) As suggested by Roy, I've emailed Voith and will let everyone know the result.