ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parts reconditioning at Aldenham

I had cause to be in the area about five weeks ago so I called in to `Aldenham`. The access into the Business Park that now occupies the site isn`t on the alignment of the original way in off Elstree Hill. I would guess that the new way in cuts across the Staff Bus parking area as was and also through the site of the canteen. Thereafter, to drive through the Business Park (which was pretty much devoid of people and activity on a Saturday afternoon) there was nothing to remind me of how the place once was. I half expected that the main road through the site might be on the alignment of the former southern perimeter road - but it isn`t. I think it actually runs through what would have been the middle of the building. The northern perimeter road doesn`t exist either but the fence and woodland beyond it is still recognisable.

The course of the old entry / exit road can be discerned by looking at the pylons and power lines which ran almost over the security building situated along the approach road. I think it was to do with the open day in 1983 that I once had cause to arrive at Aldenham at dusk. The power lines were glowing orange and making a loud humming noise. The security guys said they really didn`t like being so close to them. I wasn`t keen on it either but I didn`t have to be there for more than a couple of minutes!