ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shillibeer Routemaster repaints

Hello,

Does anyone know or remember how the 12 Shillibeer Routemasters were painted by LT back in 1979? I guess they were all treated at Aldenham? Where they sprayed or hand painted? Malcolm, the previous owner had the bus hand painted and laquered back in 1994 but I was just interested as to the process back in LT days.

Witnin the next year I am looking to get the bus repainted and have asked several places local to me, well, the South East anyway with varying estimates. I am aware that the livery is quite complicated compared to LT red and will cost considerably more but am keen to keep it as it is as it's the only one there is. If anyone has any paint shop recomendations i'd be grateful to hear them.

Also, I am interested in fitting period adverts to the bus, the ones it carried in 1979 for North Thames Gas. Does anyone know somewhere or someone who can replicate them from photos etc or may even be able to help with original artwork?

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

My bus number (if any): RM2208

Re: Shillibeer Routemaster repaints

I believe they were completely stripped of red paint in the "Dope shop" primered and then masked up and sprayed on the paint line. I don't think they were hand painted.
I'll ask if anyone in my Aldenham Works group can confirm.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Can`t help you with the info about how they were painted but here`s a pic taken in Mortlake Garage on October 21 1979 which hopefully gives a detailed view.

I know of a sign writer who has undertaken many jobs on preserved buses if that might be of help.

Hi Adam
Alsigns Commercials in Broadway,Worcs carry out this sort of work,they can also do the sign writing or apply graphics.They are realistic in their cost's[they did my bus and I'm tight with money].Feel free to e mail me if interested.

Graham

My bus number (if any): RML 2478

Adam

I can give you contact details of the designer/printer who did my OLST vinyls for the open topper, he produced them from scratch using only a couple of old photos.

Give me a shout if you want his details.

David

My bus number (if any): RM's 446, 548, 765 and 1783

Thanks Brian. All that work just for it to be undone again 9 months later! What a lovley group of people the Aldenham Works Association are. I took my bus to their 30th anniversary meeting last October.

Thanks Neil. That must've upset the apple cart, having an AEC in an all Leyland shed!

Thanks Graham. I'll look them up.

Hello.
As the owner of 2186, which was Shillibeer liveried , when it was rubbed down it was red at the bottom.
I think a Micheal Mann was the previous owner, and I believe he had it painted. He is on here somewhere! Ask him.
Glad you're keeping the livery.

Carl

My bus number (if any): RM 2186

I seem to remember 2186 was painted at the now defunct Bus Works in Blackpool and I'm sure they hand painted them.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

I stand corrected Adam but there was a firm in Chingford that i believe either designed or actually painted the buses back them into the liveries. The firm itself was based in a small factory building not far from the train station in a narrow side street, so they wouldn't had been painted there. Plus the building is now residental, i will see what i can find out my end.

My bus number (if any): RM158

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm learning quite a lot here! Having said that, this repaint has now been set back due to my recent engine problems, now rectified.

All the best,

Adam.