ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM/L advert panels for fixing into the frames

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the advert panels used in the RM/L advert frames?
We need to get some adverts done to use in these frames!
Did they use 2 or 3 pieces on the N/S ? , also anyone know what material was used for the base panels?

The plan is to use the rear panel and the sides and make the ads same size on both sides ie like the N/S one. Also has anyone got any of the fixings for the ad panels? Please E mail me if you can assist

Thanks in advance

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RM/L advert panels for fixing into the frames

The backing is lightweight corrugated plastic Not unlike corrugated cardboard but more rigid and obviously weatherproof.

It has a trade name . Normally known as CorrexBoard. Usually about 6/7mm thick. If you measure the gap in the frames that gives you an idea of the thickness.

One of the frames should be hinged and the boards slide in and are linked by a clear plastic spar rather like the sort often used where carpets join in doorways. They need to fit in the frame to prevent blowing out.
On the nearside it is 3 or 4 panels. Rarely 2 as they are hard to manage.

The offside had those horrid L shaped frames the larger area held by a clear plastic screw on disc to stop the ad panel blowing out.

I understand that one tip is to be careful of the direction of the corrugations. They are more prone to blowing out in the wind if in the wrong direction. So Vertical not Horizontal. Others suggest cutting the plastic with the corrugations on a diagonal but this is going to leave a lot of waste.

The corrugations can fill with water and then cause distortion or rainwater marks. Simple tip here is to seal the open ends with Weatherproof gaffer tape before applying the advert very cleanly, so they will still slide in place.

The adverts are stuck to the boards.

Somewhere, I do have the dimensions of all the adverts in frames from LTA's agency brochure. But not to hand right now.

I remember visiting their premises in the Tottenham area some 25 years ago, but could not remember what they had changed their name to, so I Google'd them.

Try http://www.exterionmedia.com/uk/our-products/bus-advertising

Might be worth contacting them, seeing if they can help and what they have on file. I'm sure they will have some information somewhere.

UPDATE - I have just found this page that gives the sizes
http://www.exterionmedia.com/uk/our-products/production-library
but the link to 'Routemaster' is not the vehicle that we know .....
(was that politically correct enough .... ?
Click on "L-sides".

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Thanks Andrew for the link, That gives this me the total N/S board dimensions of the NBFL LT type as 722 cm x 60cm with a display area of 715.6cm X 53.6cm,I hope that is what the RMs had !

I have the backing material make and supplier and we know the joining strip type thanks Mark, but a precise thickness measurement would be good as it's important!

Brian - From the "L-sides" file, the display size without the lower panel would be 7.222 x 0.601m and I think this was the nearside advert.

Perhaps somebody can confirm ?

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Thanks Andrew lower down there is a link to the ads for the "Routemaster" that shows the N/S as 7220mm x 600mm which seems to be right, but I would like confirmation if anyone has the actual RM/L sizes
Thanks for the interest and help!