ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A day out to Aldershot

Thirty six years ago today, June 6 1981, an event was held at the Alder Valley depot in Aldershot. Can`t recall exactly what was being commemorated (was it to do with the last crew operated buses?) or if it was just a gathering of vehicles at an open day. We took RM 1563 and met up with (as we often did to travel together) with RM 737.

I have an inevitable bias towards RM`s and RT`s but it`s not hard to see why the Routemaster is a design classic when compared to other double deckers of a similar era. The Dennis Loline here is about the same age as 1563 and newer than 737 but a direct comparison is perhaps a little unfair given the need to build to a certain specification. The Dennis Lance is of a comparable era to an RT - dating from 1950.

Great to see two fine vehicles representative of the local transport scene from days past. The livery suits them well.

Re: A day out to Aldershot

Neil G
Thirty six years ago today, June 6 1981, an event was held at the Alder Valley depot in Aldershot. Can`t recall exactly what was being commemorated (was it to do with the last crew operated buses?) or if it was just a gathering of vehicles at an open day. We took RM 1563 and met up with (as we often did to travel together) with RM 737.

I have an inevitable bias towards RM`s and RT`s but it`s not hard to see why the Routemaster is a design classic when compared to other double deckers of a similar era. The Dennis Loline here is about the same age as 1563 and newer than 737 but a direct comparison is perhaps a little unfair given the need to build to a certain specification. The Dennis Lance is of a comparable era to an RT - dating from 1950.

Great to see two fine vehicles representative of the local transport scene from days past. The livery suits them well.

Thanks for the great photo of RM737 from back in 1981 Neil. As you know, she is now part of the Red Bus Edinburgh fleet and I was driving her from Edinburgh to the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum Lathalmond yesterday morning as she was going for MOT, all being well I'll be driving her back on Friday afternoon with her pass certificate. Interesting to see her wearing a London Transport-badged grill as she no longer has that, instead she has the early 1959/64 grill. Sam is looking for one with a London Transport badge if you or anyone can help him source one?

My bus number (if any): RMs737, 875 and 1353 (Driver)

36 years ago ....... !! (I was there.....)

In this photograph, RM737 has the BEA / NGT 'Routemaster' triangle in these early HD showbus days, but 8 days later at Southsea rally she made her debut with an early style radiator grille fitted which would have been correct with the bonnet badge.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

In that photo RM 1563 has the wrong type of radiator grille for its original condition
By the time it was built the grille had evolved to include a stainless steel centre bar.
A lot of the early grille frames were adapted to take the new style finishers with the triangular badge, they were sent away for reworking, then returned to Aldenham where in 1965 stripping and rebuilding grilles was a job entrusted to an apprentice!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Of course the ' Blacker Bible' was not published until much later than 1981 and there was no internet or quick access research so those early 'Back to Original' showcases were reliant on what was available to hand or by searching about for bits.

Over a period, original features were gleaned or remade by the goodwill of various engineers, fitters and skilled staff current and retired.

I seem to recall that getting that centre strip in the correct size with the right top and bottom connection was very elusive, so the next most authentic design to go with the bonnet badge was used. Neil will no doubt have the full story on that.

Not forgetting that these were all service buses and out on the road earring revenue.

Ken Blacker`s excellent Routemaster book instantly proves what Brian has said by having a picture of brand new RM 1122 on the cover and it has the metal strip on the centre part of the grille.

When the `conversion` of RM 1563 back to 1960`s look was done at Mortlake in Jan 1981, the rad grille was the one feature that we had to initially forgo.

Permission to achieve the `retro` look was granted for the rapidly approaching 25th anniversary of RM 1 entering service and for the commemorative run over Route 2 from Golders Green to Crystal Palace - the idea for which came from us at Mortlake. There wasn`t time to make what we thought was the correct grille and thus when RM 1563 took to the road on Jan 31 1981 in its `new `look it had to be with a standard grille.

As I recall, we asked around as to how we could get an `early style ` grille made and this was eventually done for us but I cannot remember if it was done at Mortlake or elsewhere. My feeling is that it was elsewhere and we ended up with the grille as shown in the Aldershot picture. This was only put on for rallies and special events as we were too worried about it being damaged in ordinary service. And whilst some garages only put their `showbus` out in service as a last resort, 1563 went out all day, every day so that people could enjoy seeing it. And the risk of the specially made grille being damaged was considered too high.

But at some point we either realised - or had it pointed out to us - that the grille wasn`t right for a bus that entered service in April 1963. It was quite probably down to Neil T going back through his stash of photographs and official LT publicity that the discrepancy became fully apparent.

Getting the correct one made was a real challenge because of the way in which the upper most part of the vertical centre strip fitted into the horizontal strip. As Mark says, there wasn`t a ready source of info nor detailed close up pictures to use as a pattern. I do know that Neil T spent a long time trying to find an example to use and eventually got one made. Again, I can`t remember who did it or where but we actually had two grilles done so that 1563 could run in service with one whilst a spare was safely put aside just in case.

So at least 1563 eventually had the right grille as shown below