ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Handle for top front window

Am missing the handle for the TOP DECK front (passenger side) window. Any thoughts on where one might be available please?

My bus number (if any): RCL2258

Re: Handle for top front window

Hi Robert,
I do have a spare side window handle if that's any use to you, I know they are slightly different from the front handles but at least you will be able to use the window (now that the sun has made an appearance). The only thing is you wont be able to lock the window with a side handle.

Regards,
Pete.

My bus number (if any): RML 2463 & RML 2460

Sounds good Pete. Can't use the window at all at the moment . What would you like for it, and how do we
make the exchange?
Let me know please.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Hi Robert,
Where are you based, I go to a few rallies maybe if were going to the same rally I could pass it onto you, contact me by email if you want.

Regards,
Pete.

May sound daft, but make sure the handle has the spring and little bullet still in it or it won't work,

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Thanks Brian

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Hi Brien,
Good point, I'll make sure the handle comes complete with the spring, bullet and the bolt at the bottom.
I'm seeing RM window winding gear in my sleep at the moment, as I've almost finished refurbishing a full set for a mate of mine for he's RCL and already have another mate with he's RM lined up for me to do soon.

Kind Regards,
Peter.

I did many jobs at Aldenham, including putting back a whole front of an RM including cab, destination box and upper saloon front, I also cleaned drop lights in situ in the High bay on overhauls and fitted new top and bottom glasses into window pans, but I have never taken a winding lower half apart or figured out how !

I think the RT and RM are the same type of mechanism, at the cog end is a "screw", Is that undone to pull out the centre rod or is there something about squeezing it to pull it out to clean it? I have a photo of RTW 335s window gear in bits, but I'm none the wiser. Any help gratefully received

Hello Brian,

Check out Alan's forum there is more than one detailed article on window gear. IIRC He contributed an illustrated article in one of the RMOA technical compendia.

There is a 3 page illustrated article entitled Window Winder Overhaul in the RMOOA Compendium of Technical Articles and Handy Hints (from Newsletters 61-80) - the article was produced/written by Mark Kehoe.

The Compendium is still available from the RMOOA - see the website http://routemaster.org.uk/products for details.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

roy
Hello Brian,

Check out Alan's forum
😀 😀 😀
Thanks any way Roy, I did see something WHEN I WAS ALLOWED TO VISIT THE HALLOWED SITE!!😀
Thanks Andrew will have a look

They are in black & white in the Compendium, but if anything is not clear then I should have the original colour page layouts.

I would guess that these are the ones referred to on the "other side", but I can not view these either.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I'm sure Mike Lloyd published something in the RT/RF Register or its successor about getting the rods out which was a very rough pencil sketch on how to extract the rods and/or getting the cogs off, involved pinching the "screw slot " end together and pulling them out, is that it? As Martin posts on here perhaps he can post the article he did?

I've never managed to get the cogs off the ends of the rods yet!!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Guys,
The end cogs do come off usually, I give them a bit of a spray up with GT 85 a couple of days before I go to work on them. I use a very blunt cold chisel and give the cog a tap which in my experience usually gets them off in one or two goes.

Regards,
Pete.

Hi Brian,
In regards to your reply, I think some point in the future I may need to pick your brains in regard to putting an RM front back together as one of the jobs I'm planning to do to RML 2460 next year is to replace the cab now that I have sourced the parts to do it.

Best Regards,
Peter.

By total chance perhaps someone listed a job lot of winder handles the other week on ebay. Not sure what they sold for.

If I remember correctly, the front U/S window handles on an RM are not the same as the others, they can be locked shut.

Yes they have a grub screw that can be wound in - also originally the lower saloon rearmost offside handle was longer than the others so that the cleaners could wind it down more easily to pass the vacuum hose through after the evening run in (apparently) - mine still has it intact !

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Hi Graham,
Snap 2463 has the same. Well I've learnt something there as many years ago at a rally someone who at the time owned an RCL approached me about swapping that handle for a standard one as according to this person these were meant only for RCL's.
Glad I kept it now. That's what I love about RM's always learning something new!!

Regards,
Pete.