ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake Drum Standards & Correct Brake Shoe Rollers Sizes

The following information applies to all RM codes as per LT chart No 0316 dated 01/09/1989

Front & Rear Brake drum internal diameter measurements are the same when new.

Only sufficient metal is to be removed to obtain a smooth parallel finish to conform to the following data.

Front Brake Drum LT Pt No L20036
Rear Brake Drum LT Pt No F1/15617

1) All new drums start at a measurement of 393.7mm & can be machined out to 396.5mm max

Roller size to suit will be (1st standard only) @ 1.5 inches dia LT Pt No F10901

2) Drums from 396.5mm & can be machined out to 400.5mm max

Roller size to suit will be (2nd standard only) @ 1.75 inches dia LT Pt No F10903

3) Drums from 400.5mm & can be machined out to 403mm max

Roller size to suit will be (3rd standard only) @ 2 inches dia LT Pt No F10902

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering

Re: Brake Drum Standards & Correct Brake Shoe Rollers Sizes

Useful info there, and a mix of imperial and metric measurements!

How many times I've seen oversize drums and standard rollers I can't remember, and people wonder why their buses don't stop! I've even seen buses with different size rollers on the same drum...

My bus number (if any): RML2532