ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Llewellyn Gland F52H-H

Hi there everybody,

What would be the best way to source a replacement Flywheel Gland? Apparently mine is leaking and although not completely knackered I am being told that it needs attention.

All responses welcomed

Cheers

contact gwyn@gbrb.co.uk or 020 8290 6628 or 07771 768802 (edit)

My bus number (if any): RML2382

Re: Llewellyn Gland F52H-H

These have not been available for a long time, you will not be the only person in need so if you do find a continuing source please let us all know.

Once the lift in the flywheel companion flange becomes excessive, indicating that the shaft bearings are worn, then the bronze rubbing ring inside the Llewellyn gland wears, quickly followed by leakage. Treating the failure rather than the cause will result in a repetition of the problem.

Unfortunately the high temperature Permanite gasket paper required between the two halves of the flywheel is also no longer available. It is also not easy to source the correct rear bearing either.

Thanks Roy,

Imperial Engineering are still showing the part on their website, as a re-manufactured part, but want the old one out before to assess viability also don't know quite what sort of costs I'm looking at. Will give them a call.

Cheers

Gwyn

My bus number (if any): RML2382

What some have tried is to carefully dismantle the unit and rub down the metal rubbing face on a pice of plate glass using a bit of 1000 grade wet and dry. It's a bit like lapping in a regulator valve on a steam loco if anyone here has ever done that..

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I have one Gwyn, but its not new and I can't guarantee it, and to top it off, I am in Australia. Let me know if you are interested.

My bus number (if any): RML 2353, MB 306