ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM Gearbox Problems in Calais

Things are going reasonably well here in sunny Calais, we're here for another weekend of sightseeing tours round the town. Our RML2532 has been a bit naughty, failed to start on the 1500 tour! Just a click, and nothing. Then another click, nothing. On the 3rd click it burst into life but no gears! Switch off, try again, click...I ha this problem about 6 years ago and it was the control panel, had gone defective. It tought the engine was running when it wasn't and prevented it from starting! So, I took the back panel out of the cab, unplugged the control box and the engine started, proving that point. But then of course no gears. Luckily I'd left the link wires an wiring digram in the aperture for by-passing the auto box. 15 minutes of re-wiring and we were up and running again. However, no tacho, so it's got to be sorted.

However, this seems to be the month of the gearbox problems. Earlier in the week I took the box out of Tim Wedderkoop's RML (can't remember the number) as the output shaft and bearings were badly worn. My spare box was away with a well-known repairer and was ready to deliver, having just come back from California. My other spare box was with them, but that went in exchange for one in Belgium..

So, the California box was duly fitted. Test gear selection on static test, click hiss, seemed ok, so road tested. No 3rd gear. Back to base, visually check 3rd gear was selecting by putting 24v on the solenoid, seemed ok, another road test, still no 3rd. Change Auot control panel for my spare unit, still no 3rd. So, by-pass the auto box and check all gears in manual operation. All working end engaging ok, so another road test. Still no 3rd gear, so check for electrical continuity, all ok. another road test, no 3rd. Check air lines clear, all ok. this time static test in the garage. Still no 3rd. This time garage air line direct to 3rd, band engages, but with a bar in the input shaft I could still turn it!

Various calls to the re-man firm and they said they'd send my other spare gearbox down for Tuesday. Having tried to manually adjust 3rd to no avail they want the box back to see what's wrong with it.

By the way, 2532 looks good with its Calais adverts on the sides. See the Byeways Vintage Bus Hire FB page for pics. We'll be in Calais next weekend and again the first weekend in august if you want to come and have a free ride. Steve Rorke's RML is doing the last 2 weekends in July, Phillippe's Leyland engined RM is doing the middle 2 weeks in August, with Steve doing Bank Holiday weekend, and Keith Brown's RML doing the last weekend in August. there's also 5 RTs on static display around Calais and a Ribble PD3.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: RM Gearbox Problems in Calais

Is there any evidence of interest in the buses by illegals? a full load discovered at the terminal or ferry would attract a £144,000 fine!

Not particularly. there's a few "illegals" in the centre of Calais, but as soon as we're finished we're off out of town along roads they don't seem to frequent, then onto the motorway to the port which is like driving long the Berlin Wall with 20' high razor fencing each side.

There's 4 security checks at the port and any "unauthorised" passengers would be found at the first check. There's not many places to hide in an RM and I'd say it's extremely difficult to get underneath one.

Oooo, Routemasters in Calais? Might be a good excuse for a continental day trip!
Are the buses running both days of each weekend, and will it be obvious where they start from? :)
Thanks!

It's still a problem as I witnessed several young lads decamping from under a tarpaulin from a slow moving artic bulker on the A1 into woodland last week ! It wasn't far from Chris Dobbin's base - best check that they haven't taken up residence on one of your RM's Chris !

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Barry S
Oooo, Routemasters in Calais? Might be a good excuse for a continental day trip!
Are the buses running both days of each weekend, and will it be obvious where they start from? :)
Thanks!

The tour runs on Saturday & Sunday and leaves from the Tourist Information office by the SNCF station, carriage is by ticket only which can be obtained from the Tourist Office.
First tour is at 10hrs then hourly (except at 13hrs) last one is at 18hrs.
There are large numbers of Police in Calais removing illegal immigrants, those found in the UK could have come from anywhere, there are other ports.....

The reason why the French government, the Region of haut de France and the town of Calais is spending so much money is to counter the negative publicity in the UK press particularly about what was a very popular destination for British travellers for many years.
We at SARL LondonBus France with Roy's able and professional assistance are glad to help in restoring the region's popularity and prosperity.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Many thanks, Brian 😊

roy
Is there any evidence of interest in the buses by illegals? a full load discovered at the terminal or ferry would attract a £144,000 fine!

You would only be fined if you can't prove you didn't make a 'reasonable' attempt to prevent their access to the vehicle (if you didn't know they were there) or if you couldn't prevent but you knew they were there but you didn't report their presences to the Police Nationale, UK Border Force or Terminal staff at the first opportunity.

Very few places to hide in a routemaster, remember they don't want to get caught so a easily inspected bus with lots of glass is not so much a target at the Calais side. Plus they won't be hanging from the platform pole taking selfies as they pass through the Juxtaposed controls!

But it may be worth doing a walk through a empty bus before it leaves the ferry (not so much the trains because drivers tend to say with their vehicles) as when the car deck is void of passengers during transit the illegels recently have been known to swap vehicles - joys of CCTV on the car decks. The upper deck floor of a empty routemaster that has already been through check in France is less likely to be stopped again on the UK side then a lorry is. This makes it a more inviting place to hide rather then on top of axle under a lorry, and safer to jump off at any point.

Like wise a bus passing the controls with a load of passengers regardless of race will attract inspection if only a walk through for passports or a complete offload!

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Matt Hart

But it may be worth doing a walk through a empty bus before it leaves the ferry

There is a conductor on board...... and those who worked at Aldenham know a very good place to hide from a cursory look in the staircase mirror :)

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

We haven't had a problem so far, the route out of ton is along a wide dual carriageway with blocks of flats each side, then onto the motorway to the port which has 7m high security fencing each side. Then we have the sniffer dogs first, then personal checks, then more check...coach drivers moaning at the 2 hour delays every day messing up their itenaries and drivers' hours..

Without wishing to drag this into a political discussion, I would suggest it would have been better and cheaper to accept those wanting to enter Britain than the vast fortune being spent on keeping them out. Enough said.

We're off to Calais again this weekend with RML2532, 4th-6th August 2017 doing more sightseeing tours. The tours run every hour from outside the Office de Tourisme opposite the SNCF station. tickets are FREE from the tourist office. Every hour 10:00 to 18:00 except 13:00 Saturday and Sunday.

A French-registered RM will be doing the next 2 weekends, then Steve Rorke's RML2454, then the first weekend in September the "new" to old London bus RML, can't remember the number!