ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RT or GS bus wanted

I'm looking for a sound preserved RT, or GS bus. Red or green livery is fine as long as the vehicle is in good order.

I can't take on a vehicle that needs major structural repairs, so no projects thank you.

The vehicle will be kept by me at a museum as a preserved bus. It will remain in the UK and not end up as an open topper, chip bar, café or mobile home, etc.!

I am not one of the many dreamers that bid on Ebay without the funds to buy. I have the money ready for the right vehicle.

Thank you
John.

Re: RT or GS bus wanted

What happened to your last one? You said an expert had looked at it and said it was sound....

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Maybe not such an expert...

I am looking at a GS as it is of such a compact size, I could keep the vehicle at home. However a good RT will certainly not be turned down.

If anyone can offer a bus, please contact me by personal email (below) if possible. I haven't forgotten what happened to the set of RT semaphores I asked for here. If anyone wants an RT, GS or even semaphores, please place your own wanted post!

John

There's an RT on Ebay at present:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEC-RT-LONDON-TRANSPORT-VINTAGE-BUS-/382169604449?hash=item58fb156161:g:XpIAAOSwXJNZb1wc

My bus number (if any): Searching for bus

Is it me, or do most RTs seem to sag ever so slightly to rather obviously in the middle each side. On the offside, there is also sometimes a sign of the platform sagging down. Its as if away from the axles, the body has a problem supporting itself.

Is this a sign of troubles to come with an ageing wood frame?

Apparently the eBay RT has an 11.3 litre engine ! Must be a very tight fit ! If the wooden parts of a post war body haven't been replaced since last overhaul most will probably be a bit sad by now - only way to really know is to pull the panels off - not really practical to do when looking over one to buy especially as if it's bad there will be nothing to fix them back on to again ? Then starts the several year restoration ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

RTs don't have a wooden framed body, they have wooden inserts in steel sections, and yes, they do sag a bit in the middle.

I would say the sag is caused by tinworm rather than woodworm, plus a bit of wood rot as the wood does actually add a bit of strength to the steel frames.

I'd say in my experience the wood used in them has a "shelf life" of about 30 years, maybe the same for the vulnerable steel parts. The view had been expressed on other fora that the timber used post WW2 wasn't seasoned as well as that pre WW2 as there were still shortages of everything and a need to renew everything quickly. window rubber also has a life expectancy of about 20 years. It's safe to assume that as the RTs are well over 60 years, that's 3 times their life expectancy. Unless an RT has been rebuilt in the fairly recent past, it's likely to be a bundle of rot.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Many more like this on Tilsworthworks youtube and Flickr channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHs8zbKIAUk

Graham Brown
Apparently the eBay RT has an 11.3 litre engine ! Must be a very tight fit ! If the wooden parts of a post war body haven't been replaced since last overhaul most will probably be a bit sad by now - only way to really know is to pull the panels off - not really practical to do when looking over one to buy especially as if it's bad there will be nothing to fix them back on to again ? Then starts the several year restoration ?

This bus didn't sell. Does anyone know a contact number or email so I can follow it up?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEC-RT-LONDON-TRANSPORT-VINTAGE-BUS-/382169604449?hash=item58fb156161:g:XpIAAOSwXJNZb1wc

Meanwhile, anyone know the length, width and height of the compact GS bus?

My bus number (if any): RT or GS wanted

The GS bus is 7'6 wide, 9'6 high, 26' long, weight 4 tons. Mine is the maroon one, I've owned it since 1969! LT used it until 1964, sold to Tillingbourne Valley of Chilworth, Surrey. I bought it in May 1969 when I was 17.

That's interesting Roy. I didn't realise that the GS was the same width and length as the RT - so I'll need about the same space for a GS or an RT.

Seen you maroon GS, nice bus of course.

John

The Rt is 27'6, the GS is 26', so a bit shorter!

Not wishing to be pedantic but were the pre-war RT`s 26`0" ?

The GS has a reputation for the front end corroding very badly so have a good look.

The GS wings certainly corrode, mine's on its second set, and they are not faring too well. The frame round the front windows, especially at the top will probably be rotten too, as will the bit of steelwork that holds the front window pand fit onto.

The rest is built like a tank. One character from Coulsdon who broke one years ago said "never again".

The only steel bits are the front wings and bonnet and the rear wings and lower corner panels.

roythebus
The Rt is 27'6, the GS is 26', so a bit shorter!

Neil G
Not wishing to be pedantic but were the pre-war RT`s 26`0" ?

I thought all regular RTs were 26ft long. The regular RTs I have seen parked next to a standard 27' 6" Routemaster have been noticeably shorter. Surely its the RTL that is 27' 6" long?

My bus number (if any): Searching for decent RM

Some RT and RTL bodies were swapped so they must be the same length!