ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RT track rod ball studs

We are looking to source some of these and wonder
a ) if anyone already has "new old stock" already they would like to sell or
b) if no new ones are available if anyone would be interested in any if we had some made
Alternatively has anyone thought of having these made and has a manufacturer in the UK in mind who could do them?

Are the RM ones the same?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RT track rod ball studs

Brian i have 20+ new old stock "Ball Pins"....... same thing?

Don't know Dave! In AEC Regent lll Service manual they call them track rod ball studs. If you have it it's in page G9 fig G6 "Ball stud" on the track rod Assembly. Can you E mail me a photo?

Do you have any of the springs by any chance Dave?

Will do.

I think they are called Ball Pins in the parts manual?, I was trying to find out if they are shared with the drag link and RF's (a few years back!).

It is the drag link one that we have been looking at, aren't these the same?

I believe the ball studs are the same across the RT/RF/RM range, AEC standardisation! I too have a stock of these.

what is more difficult to get are the phosphor bronze cups they go in.

Remember the pins can be turned through 90 degrees the alleviate much of the wear.

A word of warning, a few years back when i was rebuilding GS67, I had the front axle jacked up with wheels off. I tested the steering lock-to lock. The track rod hit the stop a bit hard and the ball pin sheared. there had been a hair line crack on it at the base of the ball. Good job it happened in the workshop and not on the road.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

roy
Do you have any of the springs by any chance Dave?

Yes Roy, not sure on how many though. Also have a few of the cups but again not sure how many (i'd guess less than 6) & which types.