ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mouldings

Hi guys

Is there availability of the thick moulding around the wheel arches for an RML?

Also who does skirt panels?

Thanks for any help!

Damien

Re: Mouldings

Hi Damien this from Chris a while ago :
RM mudguards (wings) from Jadecraft
I've just bought a complete set of mudguards (actually called wings) for RM238 from

JADECRAFT LTD
UNIT 3 PARK DRIVE IND. ESTATE
PARK DRIVE
BRAINTREE
ESSEX
CM7 1AP
01376 346 040

They are made to order and his took six weeks to arrive they may well still do the aluminium valance panels as well - if you put Jadecraft or mudguards in the search box the part numbers are in the original post - I couldn't get them to copy over

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Click view entire thread to see Chris's post

Thanks Graham,

I was talking about the bead moulding that runs along the wheel-arch, its made of aluminium. My description wasn't clear enough!

It looks about 1 inch wide but is much thicker in height than the other mouldings.

It's a special shape moulding. I suspect Jadecraft is the former Greengate Fabrications who used to sell flat L section curved to shape instead.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

If they are the former Greengate they used to sell the wheelarch mouldings but they are not drilled and are "roughly" to shape, no bends on them to go with the valence panels. Not sure who does Valence panels, one of the RM operators like Dave Lee might know. Local metal fabricator panel beater might be able to do from a pattern.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Greengate used to do the valence panels ready-folded.

Thanks Lads.

If all else fails probably possible to get a length of aluminium bar - chamfer the edges and gently heat and bend to shape ?

You can still buy half round aluminium moulding. The RM moulding had a step moulded in the back to provide a better lip over the edge of the wing section.

It's not half round Roy, that is for RTs, this has a flat top. I got some for a client who refubished an RM, he was able to fit it, it just needs careful drilling if using set screws!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Jadecraft, formerly Greengate have disappeared.

That's bad news Roy - wonder what's happened to the Greengate moulds?

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Jadecraft went into Liquidation on 13 June 2017.

Liquidator's name and address: Steven Martin Stokes (IP No. 10330) and Gerald Clifford Smith (IP No. 6335) both of FRP Advisory LLP, 2nd Floor, 170 Edmund Street, Birmingham, B3 2HB

Might be worth approaching them for RM moulds and stock.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

FRP advise that moulds have been sold to an interested party. The Wrightbus and other current moulds have been returned to their respective owners.

I have asked FRP to request the purchaser make contact with a view to continued production.

That sounds very helpful Roy - let's hope they're interested in continuing to produce RM parts

Re: Mouldings - Good News!

I suspect that this may be something others more knowledgeable than me already know but I've stumbled across another manufacturer of RM fibreglass panels after buying a rear corner panel on the well-known online auction site. I was surprised to find that instead of a Greengates label there was one for N & M Fibreglass. Pursuing this further I find that this is a friendly family firm in Worcestershire who offer a range of panels from grilles to wheelarches ( http://www.nandmfibreglass.co.uk/ ). I spoke to one of the directors, Alistair Nash ( alistairnash@nandmfibreglass.co.uk - 01527 870282 ) who told me that as well as the items on the website they are working on a bonnet for future sale as well as some other parts. They can also offer fibreglass repairs and spray painting. Sounds all very helpful!

I found that site a couple of weeks ago but forgot to post it on here. I also contacted the administrator of Greengate/Jade/whatever their last trading name was but they never got back to me.

Thanks Roy - it sounds like we've got a useful alternative to Greengate's anyway...

I've used N&M to replace my Grill, both headlight panels and rear numberplate panel.
I was happy with the panels and their service is pretty good too, i was told the parts are made to order but they turned up 48hrs later.

With them you can also choose gel coat colour (with in reason)

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

A few weeks ago there was a thread on here about a firm who was reportedly getting rod of a lot of glass fibre moulds, does anyone remember who they were as they had RM moulds in stock and we were reassured they weren't disposing of RM moulds.

It was N &M Roy - I think they were disposing of later vehicle type moulds not RM ones thankfully !

My bus number (if any): RML2747