ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lower ceiling rivets solution for painting.

Hey Mark,
I know what you mean about the problems with the paint on the lower deck ceilings in regards to the rivets. The only thing is in regards to your bus which I have been fortunate to travel on many times, it represents a good 'every day bus' that hasn't been over restored just taken good care of. So the only thing is if you start repainting the lower deck ceiling before you know you may end up restoring the whole interior, but its up to you and if you need any help you know where I am.

I will at some point have to tackle this problem with 2460. I had roughly the same idea in mind as mentioned by Jack earlier by given the ceiling frame work, panels and beading a good rub down and clean. Then to apply a couple of coats of etch primer and primer etc and then sealing everything up with sealant. The ceilings may be coming down in the near future as last week I was discussing with an electrician 2460's rewiring project.

I used this method when I repaneled 2463 about 7 years ago and separated any steel work away from any contact with Ali by using etch primer and primer, applying a thin gasket and sealant, using etch primer on both sides of the panels and beading, so far no sign of corrosion on the panels and that's with my bus living outside.

I have heard of another trick a few years ago from a fellow bus owner who has been in this game many years, and that's to cover the rivet in insulation tape before fitting it to the ceiling.

Best Regards,
Peter.

My bus number (if any): RML 2463 & RML 2460

Re: Lower ceiling rivets solution for painting.

Peter Veares
Hey Mark,
Then to apply a couple of coats of etch primer and primer etc and then sealing everything up with sealant. The ceilings may be coming down in the near future as last week I was discussing with an electrician 2460's rewiring project.

Best Regards,
Peter.

No sealant was used or should be necessary in the interior of a Routemaster. Lighting panels and all mouldings should be fitted "dry".

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs