ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MOTs on tests for historic vehicles

Hmmm. So I'll still need annual MOTs for the RMs (1960 and 1965) that I operate, and pay £500 each a year road tax. It also looks as though those operating pre-1960 buses, currently not needing MOTs, will need to get them tested from next year.

Good news for owners of pre-1978 vehicles who will be able to change the class to historic and avoid road tax or MOTs.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17

An interesting read but a lot of it totally contradictory! Government guidelines have been know to be somewhat contradictory as to what the law actually days, see the current s19 minibus saga that has been playing out over the last 5 years.

In the letter, it says vehicles used under the operator licencing regimes will need to be tested; the guidance says something totally different. See section 27. Having attended several public meetings with Traffic Commissioners over the last couple of years, they have appreciated the fact that pre-1960 buses have been exempt from the testing requirements and have had no adverse comments about that.

The arguments for additional public safety falls flat as well. Consider the mileage done by a "class 5" bus used quite a lot on free bus services at rallies. There are several I know of that do more mileage per year doing this than my small fleet of class 6 buses. Indeed my GS has only done about 8000km in the last 8 years when the last new tachograph was fitted. It may be that historic buses used in "tourist areas" like London and Edinburgh may do higher mileages, but I still don't see the improvement in road safety if they are being inspected frequently as part of the operator licencing regime.

Most items in the current annual test are irrelevant to historic vehicles, seat belts, emissions, ABS brakes, power doors..

The requirement for the re-introduction of testing for historic will provide and additional burden for such operators who have for a brief period enjoyed savings of about £200 per annum in test fees and the cost of taking said vehicles for an annual test. Account should also be taken that this would involve about 280 pre-1960 buses that are currently used under operator licencing regimes.

What may be captured under the new proposals are total rebuilds such as Ensign's pre-war RTs, the Chatham & District pre-war Bristol I have recently rebuilt, where very little is left of the original body but they have been rebuilt like-for like, in effect a replica body.

Let's see what the actual wording of the amended law says. The way I read these proposals is that the current exemption from annual testing will continue for pre-1960 buses will continue regardless of use. But I may be wrong.

Edited to add that having re-read the draft advice, it is just that. Draft, and advice! there was a similar lack of clarity when the current pre-1960 exemption was made. The EU has definitions for vehicle types. We are still legally bound by those laws as they are adopted into UK laws and I would refer to the EU vehicle type definitions. According to those, a bus is a bus, regardless of use. Buses are quite clearly category E. No difference as to whether they are used "for hire and reward" (UK definition), "commercially" (UK guidance definition), "for fiscal activity" (ECJ definition in the case of Glockner Ambulanz).

Various EU countries have exemptions for historic vehicles. Holland is 1960, I believe France has an exemption too but am open to correction on that. The UK government needs to redefine its own laws on what a bus is in various Acts and has gone part-way to doing that in road signs regulations. For instance the sign "coaches" no longer has any legal standing! So a coach parking bay marked "coaches only" is not a legal road sign. What surprised me is that most EU countries don't have an operator licencing regime. They rely on a bus being a bus, class E vehicle, regardless of use.

Again, we have to thank the s19 minibus saga for clarifying a lot of things, though of slight irrelevance to what we are discussing here. Thos investigations have uncovered what is EU case law. I mentioned Glocker Ambulanz earlier. that case involved a private ambulance firm that carried passengers "for hire and reward" to and from a hospital in Germany under contract. The local hospital authority decided they could do it themselves cheaper by using emergency ambulances in their spare time. Glockner took the case to the ECJ who found there was unfair competition and safety/drivers hours concerns. The ECJ defined such carriage of passengers as "any fiscal activity regardless of the status of the operator", thus declaring obsolete the old UK definition of "hire and reward" and effectively giving the ammunition to the s19 campaigners in their case to get those operators within the PSV licencing requirements. The brown stuff is currently colliding with air propulsion systems on that matter at the moment as some will be aware!

In my view it matters not whether the passengers are paying a fare or not as to whether or not it needs testing. Either it is exempt from testing by age or it isn't, regardless of use, the risk to people and road safety doesn't change.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I've just read all this having also done the consultation.

It plans to end the disparity for Heritage Class taxation and MoTs by aligning both to 40 years on a rolling basis.

That makes sense.

But how anyone complaining about operating vehicles that carry passengers not being exempt is really questionable.

Sure, a preserved historic vehicle might do more miles than a fully certificated working vehicle of the same age and type. But one is carrying paying customers, the other probably a few pals.

But missing from this is the insurers take. Most heritage/classic insurers have a mileage and use restriction in policies.

As for rebuilds and modifications, it's a bit confusing and the points scoring is a bit askew.

But if say an RT is rebuilt from scratch, it is probable that the chassis will be largely intact and the source of the authenticity. If the body is renewed 100% but to the original specifications apart from verification of such it will not be an issue. How can it be? However it it were say rebuilt entirely from Aluminium and carbon fibre then it would need to be proven that it is safe and sound and comply with the specifications of a modern structure.

But in all honesty I still think any elderly vehicle, no matter how pristine or not should be tested at the very least every two years and if used regularly every year. After all, how many have rolling road facilities and suspension testing facilities at home?

And for operating vehicles? Well it's business and they must be as safe as possible and commercial use does mean commercial rates.Same as for a modern vehicle. But the tests will not be as stringent and age based exemptions will remain for all those that are over 40 years. That's better for say a 1977 DMS and in a another few years a Titan or Metrobus. But All RM types are now included instead of just pre 1961 built models.

I half tend to agree with what you're saying there Jack. But, almost every weekend in the summer there's a class 5 bus doing free bus services full of people and I'd bet that many do more loaded miles than quite a few class 6 historic buses.

As I've pointed out before, those operated under an O licence will ave had the regular preventative maintenence checks which ought to pick up any defects, that is the point of them, not to use an annual test as a safety check as has been the case with many class 5 buses. As for rolling road facilities, many commercial garages and certainly Authorised Test Facilities (ATFs) will do a voluntary brakes and headlight aim check for around £20, so there's no real excuse for any bus owner not to have them tested. My O licence is that they have to be checked twice a year, not including the annual test.

It's good that the age for no annual test and historic road tax i being harmonised. But, would the safety of PSVs be compromised by having to revert back to having an annual test? I think not.

I would certainly disagree with the the generalisation that Class V buses only carry a few pals. These running day events are extremely popular with vehicles often travelling a considerable distance to attend, far enough in fact for there to be some concern about the duty and driving time involved if there is only one driver present.

More relevant however is the loadings, most definitely more than a few pals, many vehicles will be full up - often mainly with overweight men - and we have already had considerable discussion about the fragility of RT bodywork. Moreover the passengers are not 'pals', they are members of the general public. These events are normally advertised as a local attraction for the towns in which they are held. While enthusiast men form the majority of travellers, a significant percentage of passengers are local families out for the day wanting to show their children how things used to be.

Often the routes involved are challenging, not just negotiating narrow lanes and parked vehicles, but climbing and descending the local Alp. I can think of one route which entails a protracted steep descent into town with very often a full load. A load which the normal service bus equipped with retarder, probably never carries, nor quite probably did the type of bus back in its everyday use.

Some of the events later in the year involve a return journey in the dark. I don't know whether it is a desire for authenticity or concern for the vehicle's battery, but it is not unusual to see these vehicles copying historic and everyday pratice with all interior lights extinguished. There is nothing wrong with that for a modern bus, but the miniscule tail light of a fully darkened RT chugging along the motorway at 35mph is simply asking for trouble.

I see no difference whatsover between such Class V buses and their revenue earning stablemates.

As has been mentioned this will be insurance industry dictated.

roy

As has been mentioned this will be insurance industry dictated.

And the way that will be policed is?.....

......by insisting you join what would be the equivalent to Corgi or Gas safe for bus operators, i.e. the bus operator pays an approved third party to periodically check they are doing what they should be doing. No one, least of all the insurance companies, will spend money checking you. They will make you spend your money to prove you are safe.

As I said, I am surprised that doesn't already happen as it is common in other industries. I am not sure an intelligence led system is sufficient on its own.

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

I was referring to Privately owned Class V buses not those owned by licensed operators. Just because elements of the construction industry are vetted by industrial controlling bodies doesn't mean every industry has to be. I don't see Southern Rail etc answerable to some quango, they are answerable to the railway inspectorate or the ORR as it is now called, which like the DVSA is a Government body, albeit with industry officials participating. This is unlike Gas Safe or the NICEIC which are commercial enterprises to which there must be attached a certain amount of flag waving advertising kudos for its members.

Mmmm. Not that much flag waving for the money I pay. Perhaps it helps with domestic electricians. Of course NICEIC compliance isn’t compulsory, it and other bodies compliance is simply a requirement of all MY customers. Why? Because I have to prove that I can do the job.
Gas Safe? Now that is law, a bit like an operator’s licence but I now wonder how often a gas engineer’s competence is checked compared to a bus operator.

And it isn't just construction. Many industries do this. Fork lift drivers are forced to take a retest every five years even though there is no legal requirement to do so. It is all about reducing the chance of injury or showing you have done your utmost to prevent an issue that might result in an injury. Those that are pushing this will include insurance companies for monetary reasons and company directors also for monetary reasons and to keep out of prison. So why would any company director or sole trader employ anyone that cannot prove their ability. Timed served apprenticeship? with the greatest of respect, how would that prove that he or she is able to work on the bus you own. Without a system they cannot prove it and therefore neither can you and it is you, the operator, that is going to be explaining that in court.

I have just been looking at TfL documents for contractors and suppliers. It says;

In order to demonstrate commitment to Health & Safety in the workplace and in the completion of duties under this Contract, the Contractor will be registered under the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) or equivalent, such as Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP).

I am just surprised that for running a bus, it appears to be simply "do you have an operator’s licence"? Periodic checks are surely better than intelligence led investigations. lock the stable door after the horse has bolted springs to mind.

And to bring this back on topic, I am not sure I agree with any vehicle not having an mot, I would be happy for any bus that can carry more than 8 passengers to need a class six mot and would not have an issue with some sort of not for hire or reward operators licence system.

Edit. The NICEIC claim to be there to protect the consumer. Gas Safe is the body you have to belong to to comply with gas laws. I think the flag waving is somewhat less than you imagine.
I think Southern Rail may actually be answerable to the quangos known as Network Rail and TfL!

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

I referred before to HMRC and compared them to the DVSA. I also mentioned that the DVSA devote a significant part of their enforcement resources to intelligence led investigation. Just like the HMRC inspector, that does not mean that routine visits do not also feature. Operators know that their premises can be visited and a full blown investigation started out of the blue. They also know that one of their vehicles may be stopped for a roadside check at any time regardless of their compliance score. Leaving aside stage carriage vehicles which will be checked at a terminus, private hire vehicles will more likely be examined at a venue or Motorway service area when passengers are not present. That does not mean that they are never stopped roadside, as booze cruise operators have found out when prohibited for overloading at the Brenley corner DVSA site.

Moving to the Haulage industry briefly, there are several accreditation schemes, the most notorious being FORS, which is required for construction site deliveries in London.

As far as the general public is concerned the safety aspect of vehicle operation is paramount. That area is covered by the MOT, which although only a level of the absolute minimum standard which few seem to appreciate, represents something like a weekly examination of competence in that aspect for those preparing vehicles for test. This very soon weeds out the incompetent. On a level of efficient operation, which does not really interest the public, the motor trade is led by the franchised dealers sending fitters on manufacturers' training courses to be instructed on the latest model technology.

As time goes by the trade is being split into the component swappers who will do the labouring type jobs and the talented, who can progress through the manufacturer's system to become what is known as master technician. To achieve that status requires years of experience with theoretical and practical examination on the operation not just of systems but each individual component of it. As an example, there are around 30 different valves in a modern air brake system for an artic, however these can be sourced from several manufacturers with slight variations in design (viz the Clayton Dewandre RM footbrake valve re. the Lockheed one). That is for the current model range, but the same level of knowledge of earlier systems is required. A similar level of assessment is conducted by the IRTE.

Of course all this ignores the Elephant. The one person who can really impact on the customer's day. Rediculously, currently there is no need for the aimer of ANY vehicle to undergo a subsequent assessment of ability other than medical.

Some interesting points there by David and roy.

There has been a licencing system in place for many years for those buses carrying "the public" not for hire and reward, known otherwise as Section 19 and Section 22 of the 1987 Road Transport Act 9I think is the statute). Those sections of the Act have been blown clean out of the water by recent investigations by a small group of operators and the EU into the activities of these s19 operators and their operation has been in breach of the law for at least 10 years, as has well been documented in the trade press recently.

The law is that to carry passengers for hire and reward (as defined in the Lundberg case in the ECJ), the bus must be licenced as a bus; it must display an operators licence; the driver must have class D entitlement, the driver must have a current DCPC. It must be insured to carry passengers for hire and reward. To save me re-typing what has been put in the trade press on this matter recently I suggest looking through recent issues of RouteOne or Bus & Coach Buyer.

The Lundberg case dealt mainly with the issue of tachograph use, but clearly defined "hire and reward". A lot of the UK people have twisted "hire and reward" as the driver getting paid with passengers paying a fare. The new "guidance" from the DVLA has clarified that as it now includes clearer definitions on those issues. The Rout-v-Swallow Hotels case defines carriage of passengers for hire and reward. There was another case I read recently which was the British Motor Insurers Bureau-v-(a widow whose husband was killed in a car crash), can't remember her name offhand, but that case involved her husband being given a lift on a regular basis to and from work on a for petrol money. That was deemed by the UK High Court as hire and reward. The MIB had to pay out as the car drivers insurers excluded H&R use.

One problem with the DVSA testers is that they are now trained to deal with modern vehicles; the dinosaurs like roy and myself and probably most others on here know what we are looking at under old buses, the examiners may not know as they've never worked on them.

One notable bus I presented for test a few years back was the CBM Dennis open topper from 1927. It has a Certificate of Initial fitness and was up for annual test at Mitcham GVTS. I presented it, the examiner (the top bod there) was interested. Put it over the pit, hmm, no front brakes. Stop the engine. Me: No. Why? Because I won't be able to start it again. No electric starter and the handle was over an open pit. And so it went on. It was a bit of a farce. In the end he passed it and we went on our way. the following week we presented the Tilling ST! At least that had brakes on the front and a cab.

As I've said before, far too many bods these days use their buses for "mates weddings" on a far too regular basis, and the DVLA "intelligence" system rarely picks them up. Ye, I know I done it too back in 1971, but in those day there were so few preserved buses nobody bothered. We had a job even getting an annual test, but in all those years, nobody has been killed or injured by my bus.

EU law gives individual countries the right to exempt vehicles of a certain age from annual testing. the same sort of exemption is not given to those who drive large buses, i.e. those with over 8 passenger seats. they MUST have class D entitlement, and if they're carrying passengers for money, now with the new "guidelines" clearly defining others as direct family, if they're not family, you need the DCPC too. Your pre-1960 bus however does not need an annual test.

The DfT have just recently issued the following 'clarification' regarding exemption from testing:

" The exemption from testing REMAINS pre 1960 for Public Service Vehicles providing they have not been substantially modified. To be considered a Public Service Vehicle a bus or coach needs to be used commercially. The exemption is moved to 40 years rolling FOR OTHER, NON PSV BUSES AND COACHES (provided they have not been substanially modified)."

So PSV post 1960 will still need to be tested.

That's very strange ............ the Department finally replied to my query last week and confirmed that the exemption for pre-1960 commercially used vehicles is to be discontinued ......... does the left hand know what the right hand is doing ?

Can you tell me where this announcement is, as I'm now confused (again). If necessary I will write to them straight away.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Quoted from the Editorial in December Classic & Vintage Commercials. The wording, paragraph six of the Editorial, from DfT was in response to the Editor's request for clarification regarding contradicting statements by the DfT and the Transport Minister Jesse Norman regarding which Lorries and Buses would be exempt and which would not.

The complete Article runs to eleven paragraphs.

This would appear to be the result of brain-sharing by those in authority, a practice very common in government circles whereby the only brain available for use is kept under lock and key in a cupboard and has to be signed for. As usual our highly paid expert officials, lackeys and ministers turn out to be incompetent oxygen wasters. Not only can they no longer be put in the stocks, but hanging, drawing and quartering has sadly gone out of fashion.

I have taken this matter up with the Confederation of Passenger Transport for further clarification. I have also seen what roy said confirmed elsewhere, but can't remember where, I've been looking at so much of this stuff lately my brain is confused by it all!

I'm also seeking clarification as to whether our buses need a new Certificate of Initial Fitness and again this is a long drawn out discussion and lots of searching through various road Traffic Acts back to 1930. Basically any bus that had a certificate of fitness (usually known as an FFD) OR SIMILAR in 1981 would automatically be assumed to have a Certificate of Initial Fitness. The "OR SIMILAR" could be taken to mean a class 5 test certificate, the law does not specify. The law also does not specify when a bus is "withdrawn from service", what is service? How could the authors of those laws know that in 40 years time some buses would be put back in service, they had only been temporarily withdrawn. One of my buses was withdrawn from revenue earning service, but was on a class 5 at the change-over date in 1981, so it comes under the "or similar" category.

Anyway, hopefully all will be clarified at dome dim and distant date.

I just remembered where I heard the pre-1960 exemption will be continued, it was in a dfT document and was heard from a DVSA official at a CPT meeting.

Final details of VHI consultation.

Final details of VHI consultation have now been finalised and released.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/668274/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

My bus number (if any): RM44 RM1138

Re: Final details of VHI consultation.

Been reading the document in the above post namely the section:

Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative
original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change.

Under that explaination; would a AEC AV760 engine be considered 'the same basic engine' or 'alternative original equipment' as to a AV590 engine?

I still intend on getting my bus MOTed but looking to use exemption as flexibility on when i get it MOTed

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Probably the only people qualified to answer that query would be the DVSA as otherwise it’s only someone’s opinion and at least you’d have written evidence of the interpretation ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

On behalf of the DfT and DVLA, the FBHVC have invited organisations to be nominated VHI experts. The Routemaster Association has already flagged up queries with the guidance as so far provided and we have accepted the invitation from the FBHVC to be one of the nominated experts in order to represent Routemaster owners.

Hopefully this grey area will become less murky and between all the organisations working together this can all become clear in due course.

Andrew Morgan

My bus number (if any): RM1368