ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accumulator cut out valve

Very much the reason why accumulators should be overhauled by a company that DOES check the cut out valve or the non return valve. The cut out valve in particular controls the entire system. A bit like having a brand new tyre and not renewing the inner tube.

Re: Accumulator cut out valve

I've heard varying tales about who-overhauls what. I've not had dealings with Hebble so can't comment on them. I have had dealings with Imperial for a number of years now and have seen their workshops and watched various bits of kit being overhauled and tested.

I admit I have had problems with 2 or 3 accumulators over the years from them, and each time they've been replaced or re-done without question, even when one was well over the usual warranty date they give.

One was earlier this yer, a unit leaked air as it was fitted, replaced without question; one a couple of years ago leaked as Brian describes from the cut-out valve, that was changed without question, the other was so long ago I can't remember!

It really isn't worth just repairing half the unit, on a safety critical item like an accumulator or a foot valve, don't mess with them. I've tried overhauling one myself without much success. a lot of my work is abroad and the last thing I want is units failing abroad a short while after fitting them. There is no cheap option.

It's much like people who want gearbox parts. I won't supply any as I know that unless they know what they're doing the box will fail again soon after. Change the box for a factory recon unit. I know they're getting bloody expensive, the last couple I've had done were in excess of £1900, but they're done by a reputable firm, bench tested and should last along time..

My bus number (if any): RML2532