ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gearbox and brake warning light plastic covers

I get mine from Airlec at Rye, he sells them by the boxful or packet of 10.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Brian

I obtained the 24v 0.4amp single contact miniature bulbs from CPC, all my old spares are in boxes somewhere but I will give you the part no if I can find them tomorrow.

Ed

Thanks Brian and Roy so they are screw in bulbs then! So how do you get the coloured covers off? Carefully I hear you say, but do they just pull off? Can you get replacement coloured covers?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Does anyone have the contact details for Airlec ?

The last time I tried, I could not locate them.

Thanks.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Brian Watkinson
Thanks Brian and Roy so they are screw in bulbs then! So how do you get the coloured covers off?

Took two RT red ones apart, the bulb is screw type!! The lens has no thread and pushes on the bulb which has a ferruled collar , which suggests they may have been an assembly. Images here I hope!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/37251606740/in/photolist-YKNdRJ-Z6T88S
https://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/37478892972/in/photolist-YKNdRJ-Z6T88S

Which is all very odd as most people think the RM one is a push in bulb with a screwed lens to hold it in place! Has anyone changed one or tried to on an RM or RT?

I have links for suppliers of the red and white covers but they have screwed threads also. A screwed lens would not fit into the RT terminal block, only the bulb.

Airlec 01797 224466, ask for Dave.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Mystery solved!! Thanks to a photo from Dave Simmons :)

When I took the bulb units out, I tried to pull off the lens without any luck, after soaking I tried again and the lens came off leaving the bulb with the metal screw piece of the lens in place, as in the pictures, so it looked like a screw in bulb and both were exactly the same!

I have just managed to push the bulbs out from the metal collars and they are the bulbs as shown on Chris's old link.
I really wondered why I had two units different to the rest of the world or if there had been a mod since the RTs were fitted with them. I can now get new lens and bulbs ordered :)

Following links provided I found what I thought was a supplier of the red White/clear lens, they are for guitars and amplifiers, unfortunately they are too big! :( They have 9/16-27 threads. The ones RS components offer are also of that size... Anyone got a stockist please?