ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MOTs on tests for historic vehicles

That's very strange ............ the Department finally replied to my query last week and confirmed that the exemption for pre-1960 commercially used vehicles is to be discontinued ......... does the left hand know what the right hand is doing ?

Can you tell me where this announcement is, as I'm now confused (again). If necessary I will write to them straight away.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Quoted from the Editorial in December Classic & Vintage Commercials. The wording, paragraph six of the Editorial, from DfT was in response to the Editor's request for clarification regarding contradicting statements by the DfT and the Transport Minister Jesse Norman regarding which Lorries and Buses would be exempt and which would not.

The complete Article runs to eleven paragraphs.

This would appear to be the result of brain-sharing by those in authority, a practice very common in government circles whereby the only brain available for use is kept under lock and key in a cupboard and has to be signed for. As usual our highly paid expert officials, lackeys and ministers turn out to be incompetent oxygen wasters. Not only can they no longer be put in the stocks, but hanging, drawing and quartering has sadly gone out of fashion.

I have taken this matter up with the Confederation of Passenger Transport for further clarification. I have also seen what roy said confirmed elsewhere, but can't remember where, I've been looking at so much of this stuff lately my brain is confused by it all!

I'm also seeking clarification as to whether our buses need a new Certificate of Initial Fitness and again this is a long drawn out discussion and lots of searching through various road Traffic Acts back to 1930. Basically any bus that had a certificate of fitness (usually known as an FFD) OR SIMILAR in 1981 would automatically be assumed to have a Certificate of Initial Fitness. The "OR SIMILAR" could be taken to mean a class 5 test certificate, the law does not specify. The law also does not specify when a bus is "withdrawn from service", what is service? How could the authors of those laws know that in 40 years time some buses would be put back in service, they had only been temporarily withdrawn. One of my buses was withdrawn from revenue earning service, but was on a class 5 at the change-over date in 1981, so it comes under the "or similar" category.

Anyway, hopefully all will be clarified at dome dim and distant date.

I just remembered where I heard the pre-1960 exemption will be continued, it was in a dfT document and was heard from a DVSA official at a CPT meeting.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Final details of VHI consultation.

Final details of VHI consultation have now been finalised and released.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/668274/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

My bus number (if any): RM44 RM1138

Re: Final details of VHI consultation.

Been reading the document in the above post namely the section:

Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative
original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change.

Under that explaination; would a AEC AV760 engine be considered 'the same basic engine' or 'alternative original equipment' as to a AV590 engine?

I still intend on getting my bus MOTed but looking to use exemption as flexibility on when i get it MOTed

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Probably the only people qualified to answer that query would be the DVSA as otherwise it’s only someone’s opinion and at least you’d have written evidence of the interpretation ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

On behalf of the DfT and DVLA, the FBHVC have invited organisations to be nominated VHI experts. The Routemaster Association has already flagged up queries with the guidance as so far provided and we have accepted the invitation from the FBHVC to be one of the nominated experts in order to represent Routemaster owners.

Hopefully this grey area will become less murky and between all the organisations working together this can all become clear in due course.

Andrew Morgan

My bus number (if any): RM1368