ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Front Rim replacement

Thanks that is very helpful.

My bus number (if any): 2133

Martin at Aspect Commercial wheels was very helpful. They do sell 22.5 rims for the RM but the shipping was going to be more than the cost of the rims. He was very kind and gave me the specifications so I can source them out here.

Martin Williams
Aspect Commercial Wheels

Phone: 01594 839291
Fax: 01594 839292
Mobile: 07770 724261
mailto: martin@wheelsuk.co.uk
www.aspectwheels.co.uk"

I would very much recommend them- very helpful.

Thanks

Lorne

My bus number (if any): RM2133

Do you think 7.5" width would work for front wheels?

No.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Typical. Someone is trying to sell you what they have got rather than what you want. Go somewhere else; they are only interested in taking your money. No doubt they will tell you that 'everything will be OK'. If these rims do not meet the specification you were given by Aspect wheels then they are NOT OK.

Thanks for the responses guys.

As an update- I found a place in the US that will make custom rims for me for $240.00 US each.

I have my new rims, just wondering if 11R22.5 will work for steering tires- they are more readily available than the 10R22.5

The tyre manufacturers publish details of the circumference and diameter of their tyres but probably this will be suck it and see. The 11.00 x 22.5 tyre is considerably bigger than a 10.00 x 22.5. It is however almost the same dimensions as a 10.00 x 20 which IIRC I have seen on an RM. You will need to check clearances on full lock as well as clearance on bump. It will definitely increase the overall height. They will more than likely not fit on the rear so you will need to be careful.

I suspect you're right there roy, clearances on lock will be zero!

I had this problem with an RT many years ago when presented for certification the examiner insisted it needed 1000x20 tyres. The London 7 Country had their RT on that size and tyres rubbed the chassis on full lock. After I told the examiner that there were 4700 of them in London on 900x20 tyres and gave him the number of another certified RT, he had to accept what I said.

Didn't RMLs run on 1000x20s due to the extra weight?

My bus number (if any): RML2532, BEA MLL721, BEA MLL738, GS67, RT2629

To the OP, DON'T use those rims on the back unless you've had the additional holes for the brake drum bolts drilled out.

My bus number (if any): RML2532, BEA MLL721, BEA MLL738, GS67, RT2629