ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dumped at Swanley

Whilst I am very appreciative of the painstaking work that Ian has done to provide us all with a vast range of information, there are quite a few date errors. Which I`m surprised you didn`t spot in the case of RML 2445 as he has it listed as being service at Chelsham in Jaunaury 1980 having been transferred in from Swanley despite me having taken a picture of it blatently out of use at Swanley in February 1980. And also part of Ian`s history of it is a rather strange account of severe collision damage causing the bus to be out of use for a year only to be withdrawn in the month after repair. Whilst not totally improbable, it doesn`t seem very likely so I treat dates with a degree of leeway...

Neil G
Whilst I am very appreciative of the painstaking work that Ian has done to provide us all with a vast range of information, there are quite a few date errors. Which I`m surprised you didn`t spot in the case of RML 2445 as he has it listed as being service at Chelsham in Jaunaury 1980 having been transferred in from Swanley despite me having taken a picture of it blatently out of use at Swanley in February 1980. And also part of Ian`s history of it is a rather strange account of severe collision damage causing the bus to be out of use for a year only to be withdrawn in the month after repair. Whilst not totally improbable, it doesn`t seem very likely so I treat dates with a degree of leeway...
"Which I`m surprised you didn`t spot in the case of RML 2445 as he has it listed as being service at Chelsham in January 1980"

I believe that is what I pointed out Neil!

Ian's RM records are incomplete. They are based on many things, RSE documents, LOTS publications and pictorial evidence. You may have noticed that the last body change is shown as B2372 in 1980 but it retained B2445 in 1980 It received B2372 at its next overhaul in 1983.
These details are gradually being added and corrected, up to RM 899 has a full allocation history and more details such as body numbers will be added as have been done up to RM 500.....

The information about RML 2445's use in January/February 1980 is based on pictorial evidence published in the London Bus magazine

LBM32 p10 1/80 SJ on 477 to Orpington Station, Swanley
LBM32 p11 2/80 CM on 403 to Chelsham Garage.

RML 2445 was returned to service at Upton Park after repairs, it had been refurbished and re-engined at some cost and then was one of the 18 withdrawn when the 15s were converted to OPO and sold to Ensign.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

I recall that that period was a time of complete disintegration at LCBS and anything with a fitness certificate ( and rumours of a few without ) was put out in service if it started, stopped and the lights worked!

Anything serviceable between the garages in that South Eastern corner was switched about where availability of either a crew or a vehicle was possible. So this bus probably shed hopped over those winter months and no doubt records were barely kept apart from where it was fuelled and stabled overnight. Time and resources probably negated a change of blinds so the Chalked numbers probably made sense - although it just underlines the desperate situation.

Ironically, the crisis at LT was starting to abate and most of those derelict RMLs were run through Aldenham and turned up at HL amongst other depots and basket cases like RML2345 almost completely rebuilt. It was like a brand new bus when it arrived at HL. Even the heater worked !
Then the RMCs and RCLs were back on the road and went on to last a good few years in their duties although the RCLs were withdrawn far too early. A waste of an excellent vehicle, proving what Aldenham could manage when the chips were down.

In defence of the Ian's Bus Stop website, its only as accurate as the information given to him in the first place. It is a mammoth task to list all the vehicles listed and i and hopefully others should really raise a glass to him for provided this site to us all to enjoy. Much the same to Chris for this Forum too. I have informed Ian in the past regards my own bus along with several others buses in regards recent events. Change of owners, liveries even scrapped ones too. Which he then updates the site pretty quick.

My bus number (if any): Still looking for a fully original Routemaster..