ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does anyone know what happened to "Summer Holiday" RT?

He hasn't got any pictures of a bus on his page. He has a picture of him with Sir Cliff and Joan Collins, but that is all....
Plus if it is a Routemaster than it wasn't in Summer Holiday!! Yer man is having a laugh!

All the RTs bought for the film were sold for parts and scrapped!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

I can remember one of the buses parked in someone's back yard in Garson Watford opposite Garson shops for many years in the 60s/ 70s not there now

The RT Cliff Richard reputedly learned to drive in is parked in my back garden at the moment. Can't remember the number, but it's NLE something! I'm hopeless at remembering numbers.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

The Summer Holiday RT at Garston was in the yard of West Herts Coaches and was used as a rest room/office. The business, which also owned the still extant RTL 326, was taken over by Kirby's of Bushey Heath and all operations transferred to the Kirby's premises. The other two were indeed owned by Margo's of Streatham and were eventually broken for spares. The number WLB 991 was actually the registration of one of the film crews Ford car. An article regarding these vehicles appeared along with photo's in the newsletter of the now defunct RT/RF Register many years ago.

When I went to school in Borehamwood some of my contemporaries fathers worked at ABPC Studios and had worked on the film. The buses stood for some years parked in a line facing out towards Shenley Road from the studio premises. These days there is a Tesco Superstore on the location.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

RT3128 is the one in my shed reputedly used by Cliff Richard to do his driver training.

I used RTL326 for Northampton Carnival back in 1974 or 1975 when it was owned by a chap called Frank who was station manager at Aylesbury. He was also secretary of the Chilterns Branch of the HCVC then.

When I worked for Kirby's Coaches at Bushey Heath I used to drive RTL 326. One summer holiday, probably 1971, I repainted it in the yard of Rolls Coaches, Borehamwood. Happy days. It later passed to the East London Traction Society run by my good friend Claire Green.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

sorry, it was 3028 in my garden, NLE918.

Really .......... ?

Well you learn something everyday ......... (and no clues what I have just learnt !).

And I was hoping for a reply from our reporter.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I think that this discussion has reached a natural conclusion and have locked this thread.

Christopher Dobbing RmOOF moderator

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 and 2213, GS17