ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RM 108

Unfortunately the vehicle was not offered by Exclusive cars so the detailed service and use history is not with it. So I am hoping that Exclusive cars will still help with any points. The bus drops little or no oil anywhere, even at cold the exhaust is cleaner than other RMs I have seen.

I am assuming that RM108 originally was a Leyland engine bus.

Leather trimming down gangway side of seats - when did LT begin using this - at first overhaul?

John.

Good luck if you do get to buy it John. Contact the owners of rm822 they got a faretable of route 149 in the conductors locker they might ket you have. Also the leather sides where done to rms originally but later on they were phased out on overhulls.

The leather edge is a long established adornment to LT buses going way back.

It was to reduce wear not just to the seat but to the conductors uniform when constantly brushing past.

Alos to help keep clean as the most dirt prone areas could be wiped.

Down side was non handed seats could not be swapped as they became handed.

So gradually phased out in the early 1980s. Brian, being an Aldenham man will probably know when the Trim shop ceased using the leather entirely.