ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Production of New Routemaster Steering Rams

That’s a much better arrangement regarding the VAT situation for those registered - hopefully encouraging more commercial operators to order stock and help support the initiative - well done.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Mitch,
I have a question which a couple of members have raised,
If the Association can get new Power Steering rams manufactured to the original OE specification via Imperial Engineering at £1935.00 plus vat each, then why can’t they make the ‘Shuttles’to the original OE specification that’s the bits that go in the existing ones that make them unusable. The cost to reproduce the Shuttles would be a fraction of the price of a complete unit, saving members money?
I am sure there must be a good reason, but could not think of it

I know I am on the committee, but to my knowledge this question has not been raised.

Cheers

Rob

My bus number (if any): BEA1

I suppose this is based on what " Not fit for rebuild " actually means. If it's casings and all the moving parts then possibly. But it should be possible to have an improved new unit that addresses some of the shortfalls of the original.

Although a good original as it should be is pretty good.

At a guess the cost of making the ram piston and tube is not excessive so this is where the profit on making the complete assembly comes from. Manufacturing the valve chest etc probably forms 7/8 of the cost to produce. This is a commercial operation, fitting a valve body to an existing ram/tube is probably inviting all the hassle and arguments of warranty claims which have now been hopefully eliminated.

Dear All.

Thank you for those who have come forward with pre-orders of the Routemaster steering rams. The order is now due to be processed and go ahead. If there is still anyone one who would like to order a ram at the pre-order discounted price, can you please contact me with in the next 48 hrs please, as the book on pre-orders will close in two days time.

You can email me via mitch@routemaster.org.uk .

Regards Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462