ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1947 Routemaster ..... (yep,right..)

Hmm ... interesting "1947 Routemaster relic" on Ebay .. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RouteMaster-London-BUS-Relic-of-1947-Daimler-CVD6-Double-Decker/123112947662?hash=item1caa1a7fce:g:INwAAOSw1fJa6uyl...Doubt if the Daimler has ever been near London

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: 1947 Routemaster ..... (yep,right..)

There’s s sad story behind this bus ex Derby 27 ACH627 - Brush bodied Daimler CVD6, extensively restored to a very high standard and then sold to a couple of businessmen to form a wedding hire operation along with an ex North Western Bristol L. After a a couple of years both appeared in magazines and then on EBay for £40,000 each - both eventually going for reportedly half that amount - the Daimler to Lisbon and the Bristol rumoured to be to Hong Kong. Sadly the Derby Daimler CVD6 then apparently had an engine failure shortly after export to Portugal and was left out of use with s very annoyed new owner - it appears that it has now been repainted red, presumably repaired and mascarading as a London Routemaster back on EBay with a very high price tag ! So sad ithis rare bus ever left the UK in the first place. I think with these high asking prices the buses are beyond the reach of most UK enthusiasts who can’t justify the costs just to attend running days and rallies which hopefully provides enjoyment for the general public and many other enthusiasts without stressing these old girls out too much mechanically.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks for that info Graham - as you say, it's very sad, but interesting too

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Don’t think they are really claiming it’s a Routemaster. Just getting it in the search results. Perhaps “like a Routemaster” would have been the thing to say.
It worked! We’ve all looked at it.

Well at least it's not in London red with roundels or London Transport lettering on the side that we so often see on non London buses. If you want to double the possible value of your provincial double deck bus tell everyone it's a London Routemaster - someone will fall for it. Just why do Routemasters command so much more money than other buses, even RTs?

John